Chapter 15

The next morning was a morning I'd never forget.

"Amy. Amy, wake up."

I slowly opened my eyes. My blurry vision revealed Samara, shaking my arm over the white blanket.

"It's eleven," she said. "Work starts at twelve."

"Alright," I muttered slowly.

"I'll be in the sector," she told me. She looked at me in the eye, and I remembered our last night conversation.

"Come quick," Samara said.

Neither of us spoke a word about yesterday. That conversation was over. The secrets shared, the pain divided. It wasn't to be mentioned again. Maybe some things weren't meant to be said.

Samara left.

I freshened up quickly. Anna had told me she'd give another try at the password. We'll meet again tomorrow, right here, at five o'clock, she had said.

Screw that, I thought. I had to see her now. I couldn't wait till the evening. Maybe she had figured something out.

I left room fifty three in about fifteen minutes. Making my way through the corridor that was by now familiar to me, I reached the Assistant sector in no time.

I took a deep breath, the excitement of the password coursing through my body, the nervousness of not knowing it pricking my heart. Anna would be inside, and if she knew the password, my father could be found.

I shifted from foot to foot. My father could be found.

I gently opened the door. At this time, the Assistant sector was only occupied by two females, and I sighed in relief as I realised that Anna was one of them.

When she turned to look at me, she smiled, and my heart leapt into my throat. It throbbed with every step Anna took towards me. When she reached the door, I practically pulled her out of the room.

"Anna," I asked. "The password. Did you think of anything?" Please say yes. Please. For heaven's sake.

"Well," she said, smiling slowly, then paused for a moment as the tension in the air thickened.

And then, she let the miraculous words slip.

"I think I figured it out."

There was a pause as I let the words sink in.

I couldn't help grinning, then, a moment later, I let out a loud, desperately needed laugh. It felt magical, beautiful, free. Free. The heart that was moments ago engulfed in nervousness now jumped with joy. She did it. She actually did it. We're really going to find my father.

I placed a hand over my forehead, trying to contain my joy. I couldn't believe this was happening. "Anna." I wrapped my arms around her, so tightly that she might actually have been choking.

My heart swelled with the kind of happiness I hadn't felt in a long time.

"Anna, I'm so glad!"

She chuckled. "I'm not a hundred percent sure about it, but—"

"It's fine," I told her impatiently. "What's the password?"

"I'll tell you over breakfast," she said. "And I'll explain why I think it is what it is."

******

We were at the refreshments table, eating bacon. I didn't really get how a table could possibly store such a variety of food, but then again, that was the least surprising thing about this place.