Chapter 17

When the planning was done, I quickly rushed back to my room and slammed the door shut.

I sat down on my bed, panting. Heather's words sliced through my heart like a dagger.

We've left our houses and come to this miserable place to find your father!

Despite all odds, despite all the possibilities of being screwed, Alec and Hale are here for you! But you don't care.

How ungrateful can you be?

But...how could she say something like that? Did she think I was taking their help for granted? Did she think I was being ungrateful?

Maybe...

Maybe I was ungrateful. Maybe I'd gone too far. I'd been pushing my friends too much. And now, when my cousin finally cracked up on me, I blamed her?

Something about that wasn't right. I was guilty; of going blind in finding my father, of pushing Heather and Anna into this, of letting Alec and Hale come along.

Alec and Hale. Why should they care about my father? They were only risking themselves for me. Heather was right: despite all odds, they wanted to help me...and I couldn't even respect that.

Did my friends really feel that way? Did they feel like I was pushing them? Did they think I was an ungrateful brat?

I had yelled at Heather, for what? A bunch of cameras?

I had messed up. This was all my fault.

Sweat trickled down my forehead and I wiped it hastily with my hand.

I didn't want to lose my cousin's support. I hadn't meant to hurt her. I'd done too much...I had to apologise.

I rocked back and forth in my position. Why couldn't I controll myself for once? The feeling of guilt sunk in, and it wasn't just for lashing out on Heather...

I couldn't stop thinking about Alec and Hale. I didn't understand why they would risk so much. What was in it for them? Even if they hated the colonel...why would they do everything for me?

Alec. Hale. Alec. Hale.

Buzz.

I turned to look at my phone resting on my pillow. Buzz.

I leaned over and grabbed it to pick it up. It was Anna.

My thumb hovered over the lit screen for a moment, thinking. And thinking.

Nope.

I cancelled it and tossed it back on my pillow. Now wasn't the time.

I should apologise...and not just to Heather, but to Alec and Hale as well. Apologise for being an ungrateful lunatic. Apologise if they thought I was using them. Apologise if—

Buzz.

I glared at my phone, thinking of throwing it across the room just to make it stop it's vibrations.

Buzz.

Calm yourself, Amy.

I gently picked up the phone once more, swiped the green button and raised it to my ear.

"What?"

"I know what you're doing," Anna said.

"What does that mean?" I snapped.

"You're overthinking again, aren't you?"

"Overthinking?"

"Yeah. About what Heather said. About everything. About us helping you."