Chapter One: A Day in the Life

It was the start of the new school year. Jeriah took his books out of his locker at the end of the school day and shoved them in his bag. Walking out of the school, he saw a familiar head of black hair. She sat on the first step on the stone stairwell. He walked toward her for her to look up at him and lean back on the next step. Dressed in her high waisted ripped jean shorts and a black corset tank top, pushing up her breasts.

He looked down at the crown of her head. "Skipping on the first day?"

Her brown almond eyes focused on his outline and shrugged. "You don't learn anything the first day. So why bother?"

"Maybe at your school. Here, we already have homework," he said, looking down at the crown of her head.

She chuckled. "Leave it to your parents to enroll you in the high-maintenance school." She spun to face him, shielding her eyes from the September sun. "Yours or mine?"

"You've got work, don't you?" She nodded. "Then let's go to yours. You can get ready and I can do homework."

She lifted herself off of the step for the two of them to walk down the stairs and to the T. Waiting for the train, Shaye pulled out a cigarette and her lighter.

"You know those will kill you?" Jeriah asked.

"You know saying stupid things will too?" She asked in rebuttal.

"Touche," he said as the train squealed into the station. The walked on and sat in spare seats. An old woman walked onto the train. Jeriah got up and gestured to the seat. The old woman took the seat, flashing her yellow teeth in a sweet smile.

Shaye rolled her eyes at his good nature. He turned back toward her. "So how was it?"

"How was what?" She asked, unbuttoning her shirt to reveal her black thank top underneath.

"Your date last night? You already forget about him?" Jeriah asked with amusement, hoping the answer would be yes.

Her mouth turned up into a smile, "no, he was a perfect gentleman."

Heart sinking, he forced a smile on his face. "So, are you guys going on another date?"

She nodded. "We're going to go on another one tomorrow night."

Jeriah's chest ached. "That's great! What's his name again?"

She blushed ever so slightly. "Finn."

He nodded. "So, when do I get to meet him?"

"Oh, speaking of," she exclaimed. "We decided tomorrow night's date is going to be a double date."

"And when was I going to get an opinion on this?" He asked as the train jolted to a stop.

"When you learn that I paired you up with a girl you like," She implied smugly.

"Who?"

"Brenda Vernon," she answered.

Jeriah sighed, "it could be worse." Brenda was nothing but nice toward him. Even though he tried to be as civil as possible, the way Brenda treated other people was downright nauseating.

Shaye got out of her seat and stood next to him as the train began to move again. "You could do far worse then Brenda. And you've liked her for a while, right?"

"What made you think that?" Thinking of Brenda screeching at the cheerleading squad for messing up on a new routine.

"You told me, remember?" She asked as the train slowed down, the screeching wail of the brakes on the metal tracks. "When I asked you what you were blushing for."