Chapter Twelve: Playing Host

Jeriah's phone rang out. Picking it out of his pocket, he flipped it open to see Tabitha's name light up the screen. Peeling away his face covering, he put the phone to his ear. "Bibi? What's up?"

"Do you have a spare key to your house?" She asked, her voice sounding muffled.

"Yeah, it's under the mailbox. Don't you have yours?" Jeriah asked confused. Didn't he give her one?

"No, I-" her voice was trembling. That's when Jeriah's anger started to grow. "I left it at his house."

Heat felt like it was eminating off of him through the layers of sweatshirts and coats. Anger radiated off of him enough that the other snowboarders steered clear. Jeriah released his feet from the snowboard and stepped away from the ramp. "What did he do?" Jeriah enonciated.

A heartbreaking sob broke over the phone. "He bet against me."

"He did what?" He yelled through the phone. He could feel the grip on his phone almost breaking it. "That's it, I'm on my way- where are you?"

She took in a shaky breath. "I'm at your house. Can I stay here?" She asked in a small voice, as though she were afriad he was going to yell again.

He sighed, letting go of his anger one breath at a time. Alwhile trying to to fly home and beat the living hell out of Coen Alister. "Of course you can, Bibi. Come and go as you please. Use my room, even. Everything there is at your disposal."

"Thanks, I owe you," she expressed.

A small smile played on his lips as his mom came out of the lodge with hot cacao mugs in her hands. She gestured him over, and Jeriah nodded in recognition. "Anytime girlie, you know that. Mom's coming, I'll let you go, oaky? Sleep tight Bibi."

"You too, say hi to your mom for me," she added.

"Will do, bye." Taking the phone from his ear, he hit the end call button and slipped the phone back into his pocket. Heading into the lodge, he grabbed the supplemental cup of cocao from his mom and sat next to her by the foreplace with a bunch of his also touristy friends.

It had been three weeks, and all he could think about was Shaye and her reaction to his confession. It broke his heart over and over to think about it as often as he did. Even his wintertime buddies knew who Shaye was, but after asking baout her once, they had stopped asking. They knew, without Jeriah even telling them what had happened, they knew. Going home was going to be a struggle.

Pulling out his phone before he forgot, he typed a message to Shaye, not knowing how or if she would respond. "Hey, I need your help..."