Chapter Three: The Bet

Like every school day, it felt like a chore. Like doing laundry, or taking out the trash in July. In simpler terms, it was awful and hot. Instead of last week's moldy bread and ass, it was hormones and sweaty teens. Hooray for the school system.

Shaye was one of the first to enter the lunchroom. Walking over to her usual table, she stepped on the bench to lift her small body on the wooden table.

That's when the douche showed up. He was part of the Brass Growlers. A mock punk gang that tried too hard to be cool. She grabbed her phone from her pocket and began to scroll through social media, not even pretending to pay attention to his boasting.

A pang rang from her phone. Opening her messages, she saw it was Jer. Hey, u bored 2?

She grinned and opened her phone's keyboard. Yup. Entertain me?

Lol. What do u think im doing now?

She chuckled to herself, aren't u in class?

Maybe.

Stay in school, dweeb.

C u latr?

She was supposed to meet with the guys later. Can't 2nite. Movie 2morrow?

Done.

Shaye smiled and looked up from her phone to see Coen enter the cafeteria. She nodded toward him as he looked between her and the douche. She could tell he was trying to suppress a smile.

As Coen neared the table, Shaye tuned into the conversation. "... so how about it babe?"

She shoved her phone back into the pocket of her skirt. "Sorry, who are you?"

The douche looked at her stupified. " Seriously? I came over here to let you into my bed, and you're turning me down? Me?"

Shaye sucked a breath through her teeth and gave him a mock sorrowful look. "Yeah, I am."

Douche scoffed. "Whatever bitch. You're missing out on a great lay."

Shaye grinned, "doubtful."

Douche stepped forward to have a hand land on his shoulder. He looked over his shoulder to see Coen with a sarcasta-bitch smile. Douche tensed before shaking off Coen's hand and tried to saunter away, failing to hide the tail between his legs.

Davis came around him, chuckling at the guy as he walked up to Coen. "Poor bastard. He should've known." Davis turned to Shaye and gave a bow. "M'lady."

Shaye curled her lip. "Fucker."

Davis stood with a smirk. "As saintly as ever, I see. I came over to see your stunning good looks." He tried to caress her face to be slapped away.

"Bullshit. What do you want, Sullivan?"

Davis's face fell into a mock frown. "I can't talk to you just because?"

She kept her face stoic, as she crossed her arms over her chest, her signature bitch face. "Not without trying to manipulate me. So I ask again, what do you want?"

Davis shrugged and faced Coen. "I actually have a proposition for you."

"Ooh, big word. Do you know what it means?" Shaye asked.

Coen sat on the bench beside her. "Be nice, Shaye." He turned his attention back to Davis. "I'm listening."

Davis grinned his cocky grin. "You know your twenty-four girl?" Cone nodded.

"Wait," Shaye interrupted. "The twenty-four girl?" She turned to face Coen. "This fucker met her and I haven't?"

Coen waved her off. "What about her?"

"I wanna cash in," Davis said.

Coen raised an eyebrow. "On what odds?"

Davis grinned. "I cash that you can't make her fall in love with you by the end of the year."

Coen went quiet, deep in thought.

"Let me stop you right there," Shaye said, turning to Coen. "Are you seriously considering this?"

"It's just a bet, doll. What's the harm?" Davis prompted.

She spun to him, heat flooding her veins. "Because it would hurt her. Badly."

He waved her off. "She's a Cade. She probably deserves it." He turned to Coen. "So, you in?"

After a moment, Coen nodded. "Yeah, I'll cash in."

Shaye sat there staring at him, incredibility stunning her into silence. The two shook on it and Davis walked off. She climbed off the table and stood facing him. "Shaye-"

Her hand swung out before either of them could register what was going on. A few moments after she didn't feel any regret, just fury, and disappointment. He had the nerve to chuckle. "I deserved that."

She balled her fists at her sides. "Yeah, and a lot more." She seethed. "You're a dick, you know that?"

He turned to face her. "It's just a bet Shaye," he tried to reason.

She looked at him with fury lacing through her mind. "I get that. But it's a bet that is going to hurt this poor girl." She shook her head, tears stinging her eyes as she crossed her arms over her chest. "Can I at least know her name before you destroy her?"

Coen's expression softened, he always was a sucker for tears. "Tabitha."

Tears streamed down her cheeks. He reached out a hand for her to slap it away. "I feel sorry Tabitha had to meet a dick like you."

She spun on her heel and stormed out of the cafeteria. Once through the swinging doors, she reached for her phone while walking. Walking and texting at the same time, call me. Heading straight for the one place Coen couldn't find her.

She made it to the women's' room when her phone rang out. She answered the call for a worried voice on the other end. "Is everything okay?" He asked frantically.

"I'm fine. I need you to do something for me," she answered.

"Of course. What is it?" He asked.

"Do you know a girl named Tabitha?"

"Yes, maybe. I don't know for sure but I can find out. Why, is everything okay?"

"Coen did something stupid and it could end badly of her. Can you make sure she's alright?"

"Okay. Anything else?"

Taking in a breath, she thought about it. "No, I think that's all. Oh, meet you at the Bluebird Diner at seven?"

"Why?" He asked suspiciously.

She rolled her eyes. "The double date?"

"That's tonight?"

"Yes, and wear something nice for your girl. Now, get back to class before you get written up and can't come."

She could hear the smile in his voice. "Yes, Ma'am." She hung up the phone and Shaye shoved it int the skirt of her uniform.