Chapter Thirteen: GIrl Time

Shaye's blackberry went off with a text notification. Flipping it open, the screen read about Tabitha, another text-only said one word. Please. How could she say no to that? He was gone on his ski trip anyway, so she wouldn't see him.

Walking up the driveway, she passed the Jeep. His false confession flashing in her mind. Shaking off the memory, she pushed on through the snow and to the side door. It had been weeks since then, so why does she still feel like crying?

Shoving the spare key into the lock, she opened the door to come face to muzzle with a barking Bailey. The pit bull was a sweetheart when you got her trust. Rubbing behind her ears, the barking stopped as Bailey flopped to the floor baring her belly for scratching.

Setting down the grocery bags on the counter, Shaye began to put the frozen foods away. She turned just in time to stop the football trophy from knocking her out. Looking past the small but hefty golden trophy, she saw a girl. Willowy girl with golden brown hair and gold eyes with black outlining the irises. This must be her. Tabitha was beautiful, how Coen could do something like that to a girl like her, Shaye couldn't comprehend. "Damn, and here I thought I was hard to get along with," Shaye laughed.

Sobering up, Shaye gripped the trophy and tried to tug it out of Tabitha's hands. "I know I'm gonna like you."

With one last semblance of strength, Tabitha relinquished the trophy. "Who are you? And what are you doing here? How did you get in?"

Shaye grinned, seeing Tabitha tense and hold her breath. "Okay. I'll answer your questions, but first, you need to breathe."

Taking in a deep breath, Tabitha refocused on Shaye.

Shaye's grin turned into a smile. "Good. Now in order," she cleared her throat. I'm Shaye, I'm here to help you, and Jer gave me a spare key."

Tabtiah's eyebrows went up in surprise, almost asthough she thought it were too good to be true. "You're here... to help me?"

Shaye nodded and walked around the messy counter while avoiding a dog on her heels as she looked through the cabinets. As she thought, they were empty. Jeriah and hsi family had been gone for three weeks already, so most of the food was laready bad. With only the clothes she brought in the Walmart cloth bags, there wasn't much to eat. "Yep, Jer sent me over. Said you needed help. And seein ghtat he's not here, I'll be staying to ease your troubles."

"For how long," Tabitha asked, her arms crossed over her chest, tightly hugging her body.

Shaye shrugged and opened the freezer, pushing things aside while looking through it. "As long as you need me or until he gets back, whichever come first."

Score! An unopened pint of mint chocolate chip ice cream was sitting in the back of the freezer. Pulling out two spoons, she opened the container and dug into the nearly freezer burnt ice cream.

"So," Tabitha prompted.

Shaye raised an eyebrow, not knowing where Tabitha was going. "So?"

Tabitha walked toward the counter to stand on the other side of the counter. "So, you're my babysitter?"

Almost choking on her spoonful of ice cream, a chocolate chip went down her throat unexpectedly. Coughing to get it back up, Shaye replied, "um, no. I'm here to make sure you're okay enough to stay alone for another two weeks. But if you don't want my company..."

"That's not it!" Tabitha exclaimed. Taking a calming breath, she collected herself. Shaye could see her wall of cool, calm, and collected rise up again. She sighed, taking the spoon and dipping the tip into the ice cream. "I just didn't know you two were talking still."

Shaye froze, a harsh coldness washing over her like an ice bath. "He told you?"

Tabitha leaned against the countertop. Shaye could see the nerves in her eyes, but also the analyzing side that only came from the blueblood society. Tabitha nodded. "I'm the one who told him to tell you."

The frigid coldness of her exterior didn't even hold a candle to the angry burn inside her chest. "That wasn't your call to make."

She looked down at the ice cream, but not before Shaye saw the guilt in her eyes. "I know. Just-" Tabitha glanced up at Shaye before ducking down to stand up to her full height. "He loves you. In the few months I've known him, that was the one thing that was always loud and clear. He loves you, and nothing will change that."

At her words, Shaye's eyes began to water. Wiping at her eyes, Shaye said softly, "shut up. You've made a mess of things already. I shouldn't take your shitty advice."

A pregnant silence consumed the house until Tabitha laid a gentle hand on Shaye's arm. Shaye ceased crying for only a moment before sobs racked her body. "I love him. I love him dammit, but I know I'm no good for him. He deserves better than me."

Tabitha's thumb made circles against Shaye's arm. " Maybe, but who are we to judge? Why not live in the moment?"

Wiping furiously away the tears streaming down her cheeks. "But-" Shaye hiccuped. "But he doesn't really love me, he just thinks he does."

Taking Shaye's hand in hers, Tabitha explained, "he loves you. He really does. You don't know how long he has raved about you doing this or that. He's absolutely, and inevitably in love with you. I only wish you could accept it."

Shaye shook her head. "I wish I could because I love him too." Rethinking what she said out loud, her eyes widened. Covering her mouth with her hand, Shaye explained, "I didn't mean to say that. You can't repeat that to anyone."

Tabitha nodded, as Shaye continued to sob over a love she couldn't have. After the sobs dwindled away to dried tear trails. "How is it that I came here to console you, and you ended up consoling me?" Shaye asked.

Tabitha shrugged. "I seem to do that a lot."

Shaye laughed and brushed the freshly chopped bangs from her face. "So anyway, enough about me. How are you doing? What happened?" Tabitha shrugged again and looked down at the counter, but not before Shaye could see tears forming in her eyes. Walking around the counter, Shaye laid a hand on Tabitha's shoulder. "It's okay, you can say it. I just cried my eyes out over a boy I can never have. This is a judge-free zone right now."

Tabitha held her hands to her face as she choked out a sob, "oh, god! He made a bet I would fall in love with him!"

Pity found it's way into Shaye's chest. Pity for the girl who thought she has given her happily ever after, only to have it ripped away as an illusion. Wrapping her arms around her, Shaye guided Tabitha to the living room and sat her down on the couch. "I'll be right back," Shaye said before rushing to the kitchen. Prepping hot milk in two mugs and the cacao packets mixed with the steaming mug. Bringing the drinks back to a calm Tabitha, Tabitha took one and let the steam hit her in the face immediately warming her pink button nose. "Nothing can beat hot cocoa on a winter night.

Tabitha smiled a small smile to lighten the mood. "Agreed."

Shaye held up her heavy mug it was Shaye's signature mug at the West household. Tabitha lifted her mug and clinked it against SHay'es. "To girl power because fuck guys."

Nodding in agreement, Tabitha raised her mug a little higher. "I can get behind that."

Pulling away, they giggled at the milk mustaches on their upper lips.