Chapter Four: Trouble in Paradise

Their date was so... awkward. Shaye looked between Jeriah and Brenda. It was almost like they were awkward towards each other as though they didn't know what to do.

Sitting across the table from them, Shaye winced at their boring conversation topics. School, the weather, sports. They were from the same school, so they knew each other. It shouldn't be that hard. She asked a lot of questions and he answered them.

Even though they were doing the proper dialogue, they seemed stiff. As though they were too awkward to get into deep topics. It was almost as though Jer couldn't be himself, and it put her off her game.

Finn wrapped an arm around her shoulders and leaned into her ear. "Why don't we give the lovebirds room to do their thing. We can go hit a movie."

Nodding uncertainly, Shaye cleared her throat and tried to keep the hostility from her voice. "We're going to catch a late movie. We'll leave you two to do your thing." She scooted across the bench and sent a wink toward the couple with an amused smirk. Getting up from the bench, she walked out of the Bluebird Diner and waited for Finn.

Looking back at the table from the outside window, she could see Jer move to the other side of the table. His focus was totally on Brenda, softly smiling at her. He always smiled like that when he was forced to be polite.

Sighing, and arm slid around her waist and guided her to a back alley. Looking up, she saw Finn with an angry expression. Pulling herself to a stop, she turned to face him. "What?"

Finn clenched his jaw. "What the fuck was that about?"

Crossing her arms over her chest, she sat back on her stiff leg. "What do you mean?"

He curled his upper lip at her. "You know what I mean. You were more focused on him then you were at anyone else at the table."
She scoffed. "I'm sorry I was concerned that he was doing alright. He doesn't do well in stressful situations."

Finn snarled at her. "Admit it, you care about him. You love him."

"Of course I do! He's my best friend!" She exclaimed.

He turned and paced up and down the trash-filled alley, not minding if he stepped on things as he walked. Finally, he turned and faced her. "I want you two to quit that."

She stilled as she felt herself paling. "You want me to break it off?" He nodded with this hands clenching into fists at his sides. "You," she seethed. "You, a guy I met a week ago, want me to break off a friendship that has lasted for years before you even came to Boston? Are you for real?"

A tic moved in his jaw as he glared at her. "You got a problem? I thought we were good."

She tsked. "Yeah, so did I. Then you told me to break off a relationship I value more than yours."

Finn grabbed her arm in a crushing grip and pulled back his other hand. Not having enough time to duck, she felt a stinging against her cheek. Pulling up a hand to cover her cheek, she stumbled backward and fell to the stinking ground.

He stood over her with a soft look. "Now look what you made me do. This never would have happened if you had listened to me the first time."

Tears threatened to fall from her eyes as she struggled to stand on shaking legs. He got in her face and held her there. "You will defriend him. If I see you near him, I will beat the ever-loving shit out of him. Do you understand?"

She nodded, tears flowing down her cheeks. He pulled away and left the dark alley. She pulled herself together and walked back to the window. Looking in, she could see Brenda laughing at something Jeriah had said. His smile inflating a little more with every joke or laugh.

Something in her chest ached. She would never have that, she established. Never.

Turning away from the picturesque window scene, she headed for home.