Chapter Nine: Confrontation

Shaye pulled Jeriah into the Cade student parking and toward his jeep. Climbing in, he drew the keys out of his pockets and jammed them in the ignition. Flipping the engine over, they peeled out of the parking lot and into busy Boston.

"What the fuck was that?" Shaye spat out.

"I-I think it was an ambush. I mean, he did drop her off this morning. They must have been planning this all day."

"That's not what I meant," Shaye snapped. "I meant your fighting. Since when do football players know how to fight?"

Giving her a nervous chuckle as he thought of an excuse. "You think that football players don't get into fights? We fight like brothers most times-"

He flicked a glance at her to see her glaring at him. Watching her for a second. A car laid on the horn as Jeriah weaved into the correct lane.

"I know what you did," she seethed. "And you're a moronic, idiotic, self-centered-"

"Two of those words mean the same thing," Jeriah mentioned under his breath.

Chancing a glance across the car, he saw her glaring bullets at him. "Not. The. Point."

He sighed and pulled onto a side street and parked. "If it's important to you, let's talk about it. What do you think I did that was both moronic and idiotic?"

Running her tongue over her front teeth, she shook her head and looked fiercely out the front window. "You really had me for a fool, you know?" Turning her head to face him, he could see tears in her eyes. "What made you do it?"

He sighed and gripped the leather steering wheel. "I don't know what you're talking about, Shaye. You're going to have to be a bit more specific."

She laughed unamusedly. "Don't know what I'm talking about? You don't know what I'm talking about. Alright, how about this. What were you doing the night of the homecoming bonfire?"

He paused, sold on the idea that she had figured him out. "What do you mean? I was there."

Shaye shook her head. "Not so. Because Brenda asked me where you were that night. So, what exactly were you doing that night?"

"I-"

"I can tell you what you were doing," she interrupted. "You were at an underground fight. Not even at one. You were in one."

Jeriah could feel the blood drain from his face. "How?"

She crossed her arms over her chest. "How do you think? Someone I knew was there and saw you."

"I had it under control-"

"Against an almost pro, that doesn't matter." She huffed, leaning against the car door. "It's the fact that you participated in the fight in the first place. How stupid could you be?"

"How was I supposed to know I was going up against him? As far as I knew, I was going up against a beginner!" He exclaimed.

"That doesn't make this ay better!" She shouted in the quiet car.

Turning off the engine, Jeriah sat back in his seat. He sighed and asked in a quiet tone, "what do you want me to say, Shaye?"

When he looked back over at her, she had tears brimming her eyes. She wiped at them angrily and looked down at her hands, mascara smeared on her hand. "I want you to say that you'll stop."

He let out an amused breath and shook his head. "I am willing to say a lot of things right now, but that's not one of them."

She looked up at him, her now short hair moving away from her face. "Why? Why is this so important to you?"