Unravel; X

"Do you still take your tea with no sugar?"

Claire nodded, and Miss Garcia chuckled.

She tried not to stare too intently as Miss Garcia poured the brown liquid into the small cup, steam pouring out of it. Her throat was in all kinds of pain, and Claire had been dying to fill it with any kind of water - except alcohol, because she was underage.

"What about your other half? Does she still take her tea with too much sugar?"

It was followed by Miss Garcia's trademark booming laugh, ending with a snort.

Claire could keep the discomfort away, especially in a safe, nostalgic place such as Miss Garcia's room.

It was a coastal-style bedroom, with the main colors being muted green and white. Claire had always adored the touch of vintage to it, not to mention how the red curtain didn't completely block out the sun, rather, it filtered it, casting this unique light to the room, the kind of lighting photographers liked to call 'The Golden Hour'.

Claire loved this room, always had since she was a kid. Roxanne knew about it, always had since she was a kid. It was why they decided to live in a small apartment instead of a slightly-bigger one with two bathrooms, because Roxanne knew Claire loved these types of rooms and she was willing to make sacrifices, all for Claire.

Thinking about Roxanne made Claire feel all sorts of mixed feelings, the most prominent were guilt and anger and sadness.

The 'clinking' and 'thudding' sound of Miss Garcia putting the tea on the round table snapped Claire out of her reverie.

Miss Garcia's blue eyes were soft, relaxed, but Claire knew she knew enough from just a glance. She'd been able to read Claire better than anyone, probably even Roxanne.

Miss Garcia took a seat in front of Claire, in a stool too big for such a small woman.

"How has she been?"

Claire withered, her jaw moving without her lips parting.

Miss Garcia winced, revealing the gap between her front teeth, her thin eyebrows furrowing, causing more wrinkles. "I'm sorry. That was stupid of me to ask."

Claire smiled and hoped Miss Garcia took it as "no worries".

Miss Garcia's wince disappeared, instead replaced by a more attentive look.

Claire took a sip of the tea, wincing at the burning sensation.

"Too hot?"

Lying had never been her forte. She'd just kept her mouth shut about her 'nightly activities' whenever Roxanne had asked, and hoped Roxanne would leave it alone - look how well that plan turned out.

With Miss Garcia, she did the exact same thing; shrink into the stool, which was definitely an awkward thing to do, avoid eye-contact, and hope her mouth would keep itself shut until Miss Garcia stopped pushing.

Miss Garcia didn't stop pushing.

"Did anyone hurt you?"

At that, Claire blinked. Then, a bitter smile sprinkled her lips. Claire looked directly into her eyes, saw how much pain was reflected from Miss Garcia's eyes, and shook her head.

One tear dropped down from her face, taking its time traveling from her eye, to her cheek, then resting on her chin.

"Did... Did you hurt anyone?"

Claire tried to keep herself together, and failed, breaking down into a soundless sob, seeing the look on Miss Garcia's face. There weren't any anger, or disgust, or shame, even when there should be.