Enfold; XI

Spying. That was what dimwits would call it.

Graciously observing a person that must be observed. That was a much better way to put it.

How?

Well, it was simple, really. She'd just had to locate her position based on the intel Bella had easily given her - and by easily she meant without any real glares or super biting remarks, only half-assed and regular biting ones - and find a suitable area in which she could observe without looking as though she was observing to the commoner, or better yet, an area where no commoner would notice her existence, and was less likely to notice her doing something weird.

In layman's term, she got to the rooftop of the building next to Claire's apartment and do what she did best; spy.

Granted, spying wasn't nearly as cool as the movies Bella had used to gush over - back when she was a bright-eyed, small kid with a lisp who couldn't pronounce 'organisation' properly. It didn't involve any gadgets besides binoculars and a sound enhancer she could use to, well, enhance the sound coming from Claire's apartment, which was four stories down.

Not that there was much to listen too.

Claire and the other kid were just finishing up watching a movie.

Bonnie squinted harder, trying to decipher what movie they were watching because she swore to God she'd seen it before and she was sure Bella used to love it.

Her phone buzzed.

Bonnie looked at the caller's ID, scowled, and shoved it back to her ass pocket. There was no way she was talking to her, of all people.

...

Bella scowled and slammed the telephone to the box device thingie, rattling the phone booth.

The moon, crescent and sharp, cast a bright light to the empty small, suburban street, mocking her with its brightness and beauty.

She was supposed to be here. Why wasn't she here? Bella knew the bitch wasn't punctual, but this was too much.

Her hands shook. Her lungs couldn't decide whether to inhale and exhale, so they tried to do both at once.

Time kept ticking. The world kept moving. And Bella was stuck, waiting.

It was freezing here. Bella looked up at the sky to scowl at the moon, because the moon was being real bitchy tonight, all bright and wonderful and flourish and perfect-looking and had no worries, no problems, no nothing, just existing, while she was here, alive.

Ugh.

Surely, there was no worse punishment than living, was there?

Bella looked down on her boots. They were brown, and heavy, and not at all what she usually wore. She was no longer Random Starbucks Girl, but she wasn't the orphan Bella Blake Donna either.

She dressed like a girl who wanted to escape from the city, because she was a girl who wanted to escape from this hellhole.

For the first time in too long, Bella dressed as herself.

"Oi, girly."

The word 'girly' dampened Bella's already cloudy mood, and it was automatic of her to give a glare to the direction which the nasally voice had come from.

The glare didn't falter, but the words of insult she'd prepared did, and died away on her tongue.

Beanie, glasses, baggy, out-of-style jeans, a tired face that reminded Bella of all the all-nighters she'd pulled for some stupid homework, or - worse - stupider mandatory reports that really were just the same thing over and over.