Help me.

The room was numbing against Kyla's tan skin. She rubbed her arms in order to create heat, as she waited for the patient to come into the room so she could finally finish her project.

Kyla wanted to become a clinical psychologist, someone who assesses, diagnoses and treats individuals who suffer from a mental health problem. Her professor wanted the class to assess mental behaviour, she managed to get some points for the project but her professor thought it wasn't enough. So her professor said to visit the mental asylum in order to extend her grade.

However she didn't like that word, she thought that it made the individual sound like a psychopath when they were just sick.
Also, she didn't like the fact she was parading around the building whilst watching the patients like they were in some kind of zoo, dehumanising them.

She took deep breaths in and out as she organised her papers and clicked her pen. She only came to the realisation that she was meeting someone with a mental illness and she had to question them.

How could she do that and not mess up?

The door opened with a slight creak, the figures then entered the room.
One was clearly a guard, and the other was the patient she had to "interview".
Kyla read earlier on in the files she was given that his name was Ace.

Ace came in, his head lowered and his shoulders hunched. His hands were bound together in handcuffs and they were clearly tightened well because around his wrists was slight bruising.
The orange jumpsuit fit his body nicely and the sleeves were rolled up to his shoulders, presenting the ink on his arm.
Kyla was confused as to why he wore an orange jumpsuit.

Isn't that something an inmate would wear?

The guard pushed Ace forward causing him to let out a string of curses. They then both walked to the other side of the room where another seat was set up.
Kyla was confused as to why he couldn't sit closer.

Kyla was partially deaf and couldn't hear properly as she had left one of her hearing aids at home and the other in her ear. Although it was better than nothing she wanted the best results for her project.

"Can he sit closer?" She asked, the confidence rising in each word.
The guard grumbled and made Ace stand up. The guard picked up the chair and threw it forward causing Kyla to wince at the sound.

"There." The guard muttered and then left the room but not before sending her a harsh glare.

"Let's get this over with." Ace said turning the chair around so the back of the chair was at the front.
He sat down and rested his fist under his chin.
"What do you wanna know?" He asked.
Kyla was confused at his response but carried on nonetheless. She picked up her paper and cleared her throat.
"What caused you to kill her?" She read out loud but instantly regretted it because it sounded so ignorant.
"What are the common hallucinations you have?"
"What type of questions are these?" she muttered.
"It's okay to ask." He said giving her a soft smile.
"No, these questions are too insensitive. I don't know what my professor was thinking. I want to be a  psychologist, not a therapist. I mean how often do you feel suicidal?" She scoffed at the paper and tore it apart, throwing it into the bin closest to her desk.

"I apologise for wasting your time." She mumbled incoherently, feeling annoyed about at the loss of time.

She gathered her things and shoved them in her bag, making her way towards the door.
Before her hand could touch the handle, a voice called out to her.

"Stay." He whispered.
Her eyes widened in shock at his words.
She swallowed the bile in her throat and turned around on her heel.

"Please stay." He pleaded this time.
"Ok." She nodded and walked back to her chair.
She sighed as they sat there in silence for a few moments.
Ace hated silences so he decided to take matters into his own hands.

"What's your name?" He asked.
"What?"
"Your name, what is it?" He questioned again.
"My name is Kyla Morgan."
"Well, Kyla Morgan I'm Ace. Nice to meet you." Ace extended his hand and offered her to shake it, which she gladly did.
"Next question. What is your favourite colour?"
"I don't understand."
"Your favourite colour what is it?" He said, agitation rising inside him.
"Yellow. What about you?" She decided to play along thinking it was best for both of them. Although this wasn't going to help her project the least she could do was try.
"Don't have one."

"How can you not have a favourite colour?"
Ace just shrugged not sure what to say.
The questions went back and forth until one question got ace thinking.

"What's something you haven't done before? Or seen before?" She asked him clearly enjoying this.
Ace was finally opening up, and it said on his files that he hasn't hand any social interaction with someone for months besides the guards.
What hasn't he seen before?
what hasn't he done before?

Before Ace could respond to Kyla, the door opened revealing the same guard from the start.
"Times up." He voiced grumbling.

She nodded and stood up from the chair, letting it screech against the floor.
She winced at the sound.

"You will come back right?" Ace asked, hope in every word he uttered.
"Yes. I will come back." She smiled and then she was gone.

The door closed leaving Ace alone again.
Do you like her?
She was pretty wasn't she?
It's too bad she doesn't like you.
Your just as sick person.
A monster Ace. That's what you are, a monster.
Monster.
Ace cried out in pain, his thoughts taking over his sanity.
"Please stop." He whispered.
"Somebody help me." He cried out again.
"Help me."