Chapter 7

The climb up the 7000 steps wasn't child's play. Artis always thought that she was somewhat in shape and somewhat fit, but 7000 steps up a snow-covered mountain, where gusts of icy winds threatened to knock you off the nearest edge was proof that she needed to work out more. If she was destined to be the greatest dragon slayer the legends told about, she should be able to hold off a dragon without stopping for breath or a sip of ale every ten minutes.

While climbing, she thought back to a few hours ago when she broke the news to her parents, about her being the Dragonborn and Thane of Whiterun. Her mother almost exploded a water breathing potion when hearing that she slayed a dragon, spilling ingredients all over the place. Her father choked on a roasted horker steak and had to gulp down three entire bottles of Honningbrew mead to breathe properly again. Ralof and Gerdur were present as well when Artis told them her tall tale. Gerdur's eyebrows could only shoot up sky high while Ralof had almost the same reaction Artis' father had, except he choked on some Nord mead and coughed until it came out of his nose. Through all that surprise and shock, Lydia could only sit casually between the two men, sipping her ale as if it was the most normal thing to do.

Artis' parents had an extremely hard time accepting the fact that their daughter was the living legend, who will battle dragons and monstrous creatures for a living. They hated the idea of Artis going to High Hrothgar and facing the obstacles on the way. What if something happened to her? A dragon might rip her apart or burn her to ashes, or she might get seriously hurt and won't have any healing potions to recover. What if she gets bitten by a skeever or a frostbite spider and develop a disease, or even get poisoned?

"She will be fine, Arista!" Gerdur stepped in when she saw that the older pair won't allow their daughter to leave on her destined quest, "I've seen her grow up and I know that she's strong enough to hold her own against any threat that crosses her path. Besides, she has her housecarl to fight alongside of her. It will take more than just the title Dragonborn to scare Lydia off."

Lydia swallowed her ale awkwardly when her name was brought up in the conversation. She nodded at Kahn and Arista, who eyed her with doubtful eyes, "Do not fret for your daughter's safety nor her life. I've taken an oath to protect her and even to die for her. If anything happens to your daughter, I shall stand before you first and you may do with me as you please."

"That's a little extreme, dear, but thank you." Arista muttered and handed Lydia another ale.

That seemed to comfort them slightly for a bit. Artis went to her room to pack everything she'll need for at least a few days, leaving behind only the heaviest things that might slow them down. Her mother stacked a knapsack to the top with healing potions, stamina potions, magika potions, cure disease and poison potions. She filled another knapsack with bread, cheese, leeks, honey-nut treats, horker meat, roasted chicken breast, apples and six bottles of Nordic mead. She even went as far as giving Artis all the gold they had (even those she didn't know Artis stole), but Artis stopped her, convincing both her parents that she had enough. Truth was, she thought about pickpocketing everything she needed on the way, but who needed to know that, right?

Artis made a quick run to the Riverwood Trader. After returning the long-lost golden claw to Lucan, who had no words to thank her, he told her she could have anything in his shop for free. Artis was quick to grab a spell book of every spell she figured she didn't have yet before bidding him goodbye. Saying goodbye to her family, however, was a little harder. Neither of her parents wanted her to leave and stretched their hugs to minutes.

"Come visit us every time you're near Riverwood." Her mother spoke with tears in her eyes, "Your room will be ready any time. Go slow when you're climbing the 7000 steps – horrible winds up there. Don't catch a cold. I've packed two bed rolls and fur blankets to keep you warm, it's in the bag Lydia's carrying."