Chapter 17

Brynjolf smirked, truly satisfied – and relieved – that this lass agreed to join the Guild. But his happiness didn't last long when he realized that he still had to introduce her to Mercer, who was in a particular bad mood that day. He really didn't want Mercer to ruin the good mood the lass was in, nor did he want Mercer's attitude to cause her to change her mind and leave the Guild before she could even start her first job.

He, however, pushed the negativities aside and flashed his signature smirk at the lass, "Splendid, lass! Follow me, and I'll show you where the real magic happens." Deep inside him, he prayed to whatever Divine listened, that Mercer would behave himself despite his moodiness – and Bryn wasn't a religious man at all, which said a lot.

Artis flashed Lydia a cautious glance, signaling her to stay on her guard. Neither of the two women knew what to expect further on. With a steady breath she followed the red headed Nord. Artis' eyes travelled down Brynjolf's body, taking in the interesting armor that clung to his toned and muscled body, until they landed on his ass. That's when she couldn't look away. Talos help her... He had quite a nice ass... The leather of the armor clung quite well to his rare, making it seem irresistible to touch. She wanted to slap herself for getting distracted by such a stupid thing as a man's ass but couldn't find it in herself to look away. She didn't even notice that they walked through a secret closet towards another room.

"This is the Cistern, lass." Brynjolf's voice drew her out of her mini trance. He walked over to a Breton male leaning over a desk, a pissed expression on his face, "Mercer, this is the lass I was telling you about. Artis, meet Mercer, our Guild Master."

Artis plastered on a smile, "Nice to mee-"

"So, you're the girl Brynjolf's been talking about in his sleep." The man cut her off, "Honestly, I have no idea what the big fuss is about. What makes you that special?"

Artis felt slightly offended but didn't let it show on her face. Instead she pushed her shoulders back, straightened up and looked Mercer dead in the eyes, "I have no idea what makes me special, but feel free to find out. Test me. Give me any job and I'll do it better than any of your thieves."

Brynjolf stared at her with raised eyebrows. He wasn't impressed easily, nor surprised easily, but this lass managed to do both in just a few seconds. He had a good feeling about her before, but now, he was ready to entrust her with any job manageable. Then Mercer had to ruin the mood, again.

"Alright, if you're so confident about yourself, I have the perfect job for you."

Bryn flashed Artis a concerned glance, already knowing what Mercer had in mind, "The Goldenglow job? Mercer, you can't be serious. Not even our little Vex could pull it off!"

"You heard her, Brynjolf." Mercer smirked, "She's willing to anything to get into the Guild." He crossed his arms and eyed Artis skeptically, "One of Maven Black Briars' employees suddenly decided to leave her out of his deals. She wants it taken care of. Brynjolf will fill you in on the details."

Mercer returned to whatever he was doing at his desk, leaving Artis and Lydia with Brynjolf. Bryn walked over to the center of the Cistern, a type of stone platform built over the water. He seemed genuine worried.

"Listen, lass." He began, "I'm usually optimistic about the Guild and its jobs, but this is truly a dangerous task Mercer gave you. Goldenglow Estate is surrounded with mercenaries and they don't take kindly to visitors. Vex barely escaped with her life."

"I can handle it." Artis assured him with confidence, "Just tell me what to do."

Bryn sighed, "You need to burn three bee hives to send a message for whoever's meddling with Maven Black Briar's affairs. The owner, Aringoth, sold the estate behind Maven's back. You need to break into his safe and find the papers he signed. He shouldn't be harmed, but if he stands in your way of completing the job, you may kill him." Artis opened her mouth to speak, but Brynjolf continued, "Listen, lass, we have a strict no-killing policy. It's just not how we thieves operate. Try keeping jobs as clean as possible. Go speak with Delvin and Vex in the Flagon for some advice and pick up your new armor at Tonilia. Good luck, lass."