Chapter 14

Malborn had said his goodbyes in Solitude, thanking Artis for saving his life and for saving him the trouble of cleaning up after the guests at the party. That left her with Etienne, who was still badly injured. He tried telling her that he's perfectly able to take care of himself on the way. Upon hearing that he lived in Riften, she refused to let him walk on his own all the way from the West to the East of Skyrim. He didn't have any money, nor protective armor, nor weapons to keep him safe. So, Etienne ended up travelling with Artis to Riverwood, where Delphine was waiting for her.

On the way, she tried breaking the ice to start a conversation with him to pass the time, "So, you're from Riften?"

"Yes." His eyes lit up, as if remembering a good memory, "It's been a few months since the Thalmor kidnapped me, I think. It's hard to keep track of time when you're chained in a cell without any windows. Where are you from?"

"Riverwood." She answered, "That's where we're heading first. I just need to receive my next orders, find my housecarl and then we'll be off to... Riften."

Etienne frowned, "A few things in that sentence caught my attention. What orders? Housecarl? And why did you sound disgusted when you said the city's name?"

She sighed but decided to tell him her story. He already saw – and felt – the power of her shout. She owed him that explanation, "I was almost killed by the Imperial Legion just because some bastard thief set me up in Riften. I was excited to go there for the first time, but now I don't want to return because I'm wanted there. And mostly because if I see that thief again, I swear I'm going to skin him alive and pour brandy all over his skinless corpse!" Etienne swallowed nervously, and she inhaled slowly, "Sorry. I'm still mad about it, though. So, I escaped Helgen because of a dragon attack and had to travel to Whiterun. There I slayed my first dragon and absorbed its soul, finding out I was Dragonborn. After that, my life got much more interesting by each day and I've received quite a few quests."

Etienne was overwhelmed by all this information, since he lost track of the world and news while he was in that cell, but he listened intently as she told him about her travel to High Hrothgar, defeating another dragon, becoming Thane of Morthal and attending the party undercover at the embassy. He could help to laugh when she told him about the diversion she caused to sneak into the embassy's kitchen.

"And you? What's your story?" she finally asked him.

He frowned, suddenly serious and blunt, "I can't tell you, I'm sorry. Maybe I'll tell you someday when our paths cross again."

They travelled a day and a half, reaching the gates of Riverwood at noon and making their way to the Sleeping Giant Inn. Once inside, Artis helped Etienne into Delphine's room and made him lie down on the bed, ordering him food and drink, along with several health potions to help him heal up.

"Found any valuable information?" Delphine asked impatiently. Artis tossed her the three journals and watched with curiosity as Delphine's eyes widened when seeing the one belonging to Esbern, "Esbern? He's still alive?"

"Don't look at me." The Dragonborn shrugged, "There wasn't time to read the journals at the embassy, so I have absolutely no idea who Esbern is."

"Esbern?"

Both heads turned to Etienne, who was sitting up slightly.

"I know an Esbern. He lives in Riften's Ratways, quite crazy and paranoid. I stayed clear of him when I was still there."

Delphine's eyes held new hope, "Artis, you must find Esbern and bring him to me. This man from Riften will help you. Just bring him back, he's a great asset when it comes to dragons."