Chapter 9

"Just, don't cause a scene, my Thane." Lydia soothed nervously. Her eyes stayed glued on Artis as she dangerously stalked her way to the Sleeping Giant Inn in Riverwood, her hand tightening around her ebony sword, her knuckles turning white, "Say, why don't we pay a visit to your parents first? I'm sure they've missed you."

Artis ignored her and kicked the door to the inn open, alerting everyone inside. Sven stopped singing, Orgnar dropped a bottle of mead and whoever was eating or drinking, almost chocked. Orgnar backed away cautiously as Artis approached the bar, her normally friendly blue eyes dark and furious.

"Artis!" he tried greeting her warmly, "You look as if you could use a drink. Stressful quest? Tell me about it! How does two bottles of Nordic mead sound? On the house of course..."

"I'd like to rent the attic room." She growled under her breath.

"Attic room? We don't have an attic room. Besides, you always stay with your parents-"

"Then explain to me what this means!" she exclaimed and threw a note at him.

"I'll get Delphine." The bartender scurried off in panic.

Seconds later, a blonde woman took his place, her face calm but her eyes help a roughness to them that would make anyone doubt her innocent inn owner lifestyle, "Artis? Good to see you. Your mother told me that you went on a quest. I would love to-"

"Attic room." Artis sighed in annoyance, "Can I just have the attic room for Talos' sake and find out who the fuck is messing with me?!"

Delphine raised an eyebrow but nodded for the two women to follow her. She led them to the first room and closed the door behind them, "We don't have an attic room. Those were merely code words to find the so called Dragonborn. But it's not safe to talk here. Follow me."

Artis and Lydia was both stunned and could only follow the blonde towards another room. Delphine locked the door behind them and strolled over to a closet, opening it and sliding the back panel open, revealing a secret room behind it. They stepped in. the room was small with a table in the center. On the table was a map with a spot crossed out on it. The rest of the room was decorated with weapons, an enchanting table, cupboards full ingredients, two chairs and a small table.

"Listen, Delphine, I've travelled two fucking days to an ancient tomb, endured several traps and threats, battled at least twenty draugrs, got injured more than I could count, only to find out that the horn of Jurgen Windcaller was already taken and that the mysterious person had the decency to leave only a fucking note! Start explaining!" Artis demanded.

Lydia had to admit, she was starting to feel irritated by the blonde's paranoia herself. The quest was difficult, and she was pissed to find that they had gone through all that trouble for nothing. The blonde could've at least killed all the draugr while she was at it, but no, she had to leave some scraps behind!

Delphine raised both eyebrows, surprised that the Rodansks' daughter had this hidden fire within her. She watched Artis grow up here in Riverwood, since she herself has been running the inn for quite a while now. Delphine would've never guessed that the little girl who brawled with the older boys, whacking them with her wooden sword, would someday be the legendary Dragonborn she's been waiting and searching for. Artis has always been a friendly but stubborn little girl. She has always been stronger than the other children, even the older ones. Delphine couldn't remember a day that went by that Artis hasn't trained in some kind of skill, whether it was fighting or climbing, shooting arrows or landing punches, creating potions or enchanting. For a girl that age she was smart and intelligent. And now she's all grown up, being the Dragonborn the legends told of.

"I took the horn." Delphine replied bluntly, throwing the sacred horn at Artis to prove a point, "I was there that day when you retrieved the dragon stone to the court wizard in Whiterun. At first, I wanted to greet you, but being a Blade, something told me that I should wait and see why you were there in the first place. When the dragon attacked, and you returned claiming to be the Dragonborn, I knew I had to find proof. The Greybeards' summon wasn't enough, since literally anyone could be the hero of legends. I knew they would send you to retrieve the horn of Jurgen Windcaller eventually, so I had to beat you to it. You see, only a Dragonborn can pass through the dozens of traps there. I figured you used whirlwind sprint at the swinging blades? Leaving the note, instructing you to rent the attic room in the Sleeping Giant Inn, was the code words I needed to ensure you were the one sent to retrieve the horn."

Artis stared at Delphine in confusion, then annoyance, "I didn't take you for an adventurer, even less a Blade." She remembered her mother telling her stories about people called the Blades, sworn to serve the Dragonborn the legends told about.

"We were a small group, but only I remain." She sounded sad, but toughened up quick, "But I need more proof. I need to see you slay a dragon and absorb its soul."

"For the love of Talos..." Artis sighed and rolled her eyes.

Lydia felt her spirit dampen as well. She was looking forward at staying at Artis' parents' house that night, drinking mead and eating a bowl of steaming stew, but this blonde just had to ruin it for everybody. She pitied her Thane for carrying this burden. If it was up to her, she would take Artis to Whiterun, make her stay in Breezehome and just let her live a normal life without slaying dragons or going on dangerous quests.

"How are we going to find a dragon to slay anyway?" Artis sighed.

"The dragon stone was a map, pointing out the several dragon burial grounds. I managed to predict where the next one will rise."

"Which is where?"

"Kynesgrove."

"Of course. Another day's travel." Artis muttered in frustration, "Fine. We leave immediately and when we're done, you let me rest for a well-deserved time and never interrupt with any of my quests ever again. Deal?"

"Deal." Delphine agreed, "Just let me get into my travelling gear and we'll be off. Meanwhile, help yourself to anything in here."

Artis didn't think twice and started looting the secret room, stuffing the coin purses in her pockets, gathering more arrows and quickly enchanting a few of her armor pieces and her bow to make them more effective in battle. Delphine returned, and they were good to go.

As they left the small town of Riverwood, Artis glanced over her shoulder at the small shack at the back of the mill. Her home. She didn't even pop in to say hello to her mother and asked how her father was doing in Windhelm. She didn't even search for Gerdur to send her regards to Ralof. She didn't even visit Alvor's blacksmith to ask if there was any word from Hadvar. No, she was already leaving after just arriving. Damn Delphine for interfering with her quest!