Chapter 13

The carriage came to a slow halt, the driver joining the acting Delphine has paid him for and helped Artis off the carriage, as if she was a noble. She glanced around the snowy courtyard and took notice to where all the guards were positioned. After that she made her way over to the entrance of the embassy, handing the mage at the door her invitation.

"You're a bit late, Lady Avina." The Thalmor mage pointed out after checking the invitation.

He looked up at her and she smiled sweetly at him, fluttering her eyelashes flirtatiously, "It was not my intention to, sir. My carriage was attacked by bandits just outside of Solitude. My guard took care of them but died from injuries. It took quite a bit of our time. I hope the party is still on?"

The mage, now enchanted by her smile and the dress with the low V-neck, smiled weakly, "Yes, it is, my lady. Please, do enter. I hope that all the wine hasn't been drunk yet."

He opened the door for her and she sent him a smile over her soldier, watching in amusement as his cheeks turned darker. The inside of the Embassy was grand, but Artis was convinced that the Palace of the Kings were grander. It didn't seem much different than jarl Balgruuf's longhouse, except for wooden columns the embassy had stone walls and arches.

"Welcome, dear guest." Artis looked up to see a High elf walking over to her, dressed fancily, "I am ambassador Elenwen, host of this fine party. Er- excuse me, but who are you?"

Artis smiled, this time professionally, "Lady Avina Flavanox. I've heard so much about you, Ambassador Elenwen. My apologies for being late. I've been attacked by bandits on the way and lost a good soldier. It was quite traumatizing."

Elenwen blinked, "Oh, my condolences. Please, help yourself to any of the drinks to drown your sorrows."

With that, she strolled away to socialize with the other guests without asking Artis more about herself. Artis noticed Malborn at the bar, cleaning tankards and pouring drinks. She casually walked towards him in attempt to find out what happens next.

"You'll have to create a distraction first." Malborn whispered, "No one should notice you sneaking into the kitchen. Come back when things get heated. But how about some alto wine, my lady? The best on the menu, if you ask me!"

Artis caught on and ordered a tankard of wine. While sipping slowly on it, she surveyed the room with all the guests. A few of them seemed able to cause a decent scene. To her surprise she saw jarl Idgrod of Morthal there as well. She decided to socialize for a bit to seem as if she was enjoying the evening. Passing a servant girl, she overheard one of the male guests flirting with her, but in vain, since she wasn't having any of his fake charm. Diversion one. The man backed off and went to sulk in the other corner, where he could still keep an eye on the servant.

"You call that flirting?" Artis mocked as she approached him.

The man wanted to snap at her but swallowed his words abruptly when seeing her. Artis wanted to roll her eyes. She's never been fond of showing off her looks to get what she wanted, but men always seemed to struggle with words when she was nearby. Sure, she was beautiful, but she was modest and never used that to her advantage.

"Seems like I've been flirting with the wrong girl then." He smoothed up.

"Don't even try." She sighed and played with her now empty tankard, "I'm not interested in finding love. But, I can help you with- what's her name."

"Brelas." The man answered, looking back at the Bosmer servant, "She's been throwing signals at me the entire evening, yet when I approach her, she plays all hard to get! It's unholy to toy with a man's emotions like that."