Chapter One

~Harry Potter~

I stared up at the forest in front of me, noticing for the first time that the trees looked sickly-not forming the same amount of dense coverage as it did last year. The change was startling, and I wasn't sure what caused it, but whatever it was, it worried me.

I'd been working with plants and trees since I was old enough to tell the difference between weeds and flowers, and it was one of the few chores that I enjoyed doing, and that I had missed this past summer as I was kept confined to my bedroom. I had joyfully helped Mrs. Weasley in the garden during the days that I had spent at the burrow, and I was hoping to learn more magical plants this year in herbology. 

Noticing movement in the forest, I hid carefully against the side of a tree, watching in worry as a man came stumbling and caught himself on a tree only a few feet from me. I stepped away from the tree and asked quietly, "Sir? Are you okay?"

The man's hair, which was a stringy brown color with grey strewn through it, flew back from his face as his head whipped up to stare at me, as if shocked that I had spoken to him. After a moment he spoke raspily, "Who are you, boy?"

I bristled slightly at the use of the word boy, but stated, "Harry, Harry Potter. Are you okay? You came stumbling out of no where."

He shook his head, "No, Potter, I am not well. I've not been well for a good many years, but recently I've had to accept that my days are numbered. What are you doing near my forest, boy?"

I stared in shock for a moment before I stated, "Last year I-I had a detention in the forest, and it was at night, and scary but...When I came back this year, it looks...It looks different. Sick. The trees aren't healthy anymore."

The man sighed, "So outsiders are noticing as well. Why do you care about the forest? I made a deal with the school that no students were to enter this forest."

I scowled, "I care about it because I like plants, and if the forest is sick, then the inhabitants might die and they don't deserve that. I was going to ask Professor Sprout what's wrong with the forest, but I haven't had the class yet."

The man's stare was piercing as I spoke, and eventually he replied, "Once people realise that the forest lord is dying, that I'm dying, they'll flock here, trying to find me and kill me, to absorb my powers. I hope your school is prepared for that eventuality."

I shook my head, "I don't think Headmaster Dumbledore has noticed, sir. He didn't mention it at all during the feast, and usually he mentions important things. What's a forest lord, sir?"

He looked baffled for a moment before his hand flew to his stomach, and his face contorted in pain as he gasped. I stepped forward, grasping his arms gently to stop his swaying body from hitting the ground. He grasped onto my shoulder with his free hand  and stated, "I need to get to the center of the forest, Potter, can you help me? It's the only place for me to die safely. My powers would go haywire otherwise."

I stared up at the darkening sky before nodding, wrapping his arm around my shoulder and helping him limp further into the darkness of the forest. I noticed more eyes than I had ever seen staring at us as we passed, and at one point even a herd of unicorns, who all seemed to bow to us. 
When we paused for a moment, he motioned to the eyes following us and stated, "They know it's coming, you see. The day when they're no longer protected. They fear it and what will come with it. I was hoping to find a successor before now, but the sickness hit me fast and hard, and I wasn't able to do the normal procedure. However," he glanced at me, "I believe I was successful anyway."
I must have looked startled, because he hissed out a breath and stated, "What do they teach at that school now? Hogwash? What do you know of Forest Lords, boy?"
I shook my head, "I've never heard that term before, sir. I grew up with muggles. My parents died when I was a baby and my only relatives were muggles who hate and fear magic. Most purebloods may know the term but I don't.  I apologize if that offends you."
This man's magic was wild, but he felt similar to Dumbledore-old and wise. Though perhaps a bit more sarcastic.
He shook his head, "No it doesn't offend me, Potter. First thing you must know is that Forest Lords can either be born into it or they can be chosen by either the forest or a dying forest lord. Forest Lords used to be common, but alas there are not many forests left, and even fewer forest lords. I am one of the last, but I have grown weak and sick, and I'm not fit to watch over this forest." He glanced over to a small stream and stated, "We're close. It won't be long now."
I nodded, somewhat struggling to hold his weight, and stated, "Are you a wizard?"
He cocked his head slightly before shaking it, "I once was. All Forest Lords are at one time, but once you accept the title and abilities you're no longer just a wizard. You're considered a creature by most ministries. An entity by those who are more reverent. Will you accept this title, Harry Potter? Will you watch over and protect this forest, live within this forest, and keep this forest alive and safe?"
He coughed at the end, and dread filled me at the sight of blood covering his hand and lips.
I wasn't sure what all this entailed, but I knew that I wanted to help this man, and this forest. The creatures and beings living within it deserved protection. I had once read that it was one of the few places that some animals and creatures and beings still lived free. I wouldn't let that change. After a moment, I nodded and he let out a sigh of relief and stated, "Then I, William LeFay, son of Doran LeFay and Helena Carter, pass my abilities and title of Forest Lord onto you, Harry Potter, son of?"
I quickly filled in, "James Potter and Lily Evans!"
He smiled slightly and continued, "Harry Potter the son of James Potter and Lily Evan's, and as is tradition, I adopt you as my heir and child." He was quick and nimble as he grabbed a rock and quickly cut open both his and my own palm before pressing our hands together, interlocking our fingers.
I gasped, shocked at both his actions and the sudden immense pain. He smiled sadly and apologized, "I'm sorry, Harry, but the passing of abilities and some innate knowledge is always painful. I'm also sorry for the shock, I should have explained more about the adoption process. Please forgive me."
I nodded, gently squeezing his shoulder with my free hand, and whispered, "What happens now?"
He smiled that sad smile again and stated, "You will no doubt pass out soon from pain. The forest will accept you as lord and transport you to the Forest Lord home, which is protected by magic as old as time. When I die, my body will be absorbed into the forest. In the house, there is a library. A book will appear with your name on it on the table near the fireplace. It will detail your specific abilities. I would suggest you visit the goblins. They can help." A grimace of pain shot over his face and he continued, "It won't be long now. The goblins can help. There are vaults, papers to sign. They'll explain."
I nodded the best I could as the pain intensified, when will this end?! This is the most painful thing I've ever felt! He let go of my  hand just as the pain overwhelmed me and I could feel myself passing out. What did I get myself into?!