Chapter Two - War Of My Life

"So you're telling me that there's absolutely nothing that can be done about this?" I screech into the phone for what feels like the hundredth time in the past ten minutes.

I continue pacing the room, stealing a sideways glance at the boy sitting on the couch, arms behind his head with his feet kicked up onto the coffee table.

Unbelievable, I think to myself. Acting as though he doesn't have a single care in the world.

"As I said, Ms. Ashby, I am so sorry for the mix-up but there are no vacant apartments currently available for move in on our premises. I understand that this is not an ideal situation as you were expecting a female living partner but I promise you that Mr. Reid has a clean record and is good for each month's rent."

I look over at said boy just as he gives me an overly fake smile, left hand stuck into the air giving a thumbs up.

He really thinks this is funny, doesn't he?

"Now if you'll excuse me, office hours end promptly at 6 pm daily." And with that, Mr. Wilson proceeds to end the call. Ugh.

I look down at my phone and scoff; 5:55 pm. The service here is really killing it for only having been here a full two hours.

Sighing aloud, I plop down onto the opposite side of the couch, crossing my arms across my chest and closing my eyes for just a moment.

Just breathe, Blake.

I refuse to let this ruin what is supposed to be the first day of my new life. But just thinking about the boy who sauntered his way right into my bedroom without a care in the world causes my neck to tense up in dread.

I had planned on keeping a distraction-free zone for my first year of college, and living with some cocky boy wearing expensive loafers and khaki shorts was not apart of that plan.

"You know, I think you're making this out to be a way bigger deal than it really is."

I crack open one of my eyes and immediately jump when I realize the boy's moved from his side of the couch to the cushion right next to mine. He gives me a grin and sticks out his right hand.

"I'm Jaxon by the way, but all of my friends call me Jax."

Jaxon Reid.

There was something about the sound of his voice that held so much control. It sounded almost practiced. Or fake.

I reluctantly place my hand into his and give it a quick shake.

"And you are?", he raises an eyebrow at me, his green eyes burning a hole through my skull as he continues staring.

"Blake," I reply back plainly. "You know, I think I'm just gonna take a walk back down to the housing office and see if someone else can help us out with this. I-"

"I don't understand what the big deal is, Blake," he cuts me off, the way he says my name making my palms feel a bit damp.

"So what? The housing office screwed up but it's not like we can do anything about it now. What are you so afraid of?"

Giving him a puzzled look, I stand up, placing a hand on my hip.

"I'm not afraid of anything, Jaxon. Only being stuck living in this apartment with you for an entire year, that's all." Take that, jerk.

"You know considering this whole mix up is all your fault, you're getting pretty brave over there Blakey." He stands up and looks down at me, narrowing his eyes in on mine. He was definitely a tall guy considering he only had a few inches on me and I was 5'9 myself.