Chapter Eight - Do You Know Me

Sunday comes and goes in a flash and before I know it I'm back working the afternoon shift with Makenzie on Monday afternoon. Layla was there again, sitting at the bar and offering us her moral support while she sipped on lattes and worked on her newest designs. I hadn't seen either of them since Friday night after the party so they had no idea what had gone on between Jaxon and me on Saturday. I had, however, filled them in on all the lip-locking that I had bared witness to upon entering the front room.

I decide to bring it up, hoping for any help from them of what was going on.

I start wiping down one of our cold brew taps as I lean closer to where Layla was seated, "So I asked Jaxon why he was looking for me at the party on Friday," I say.

Layla immediately looks up and raises a brow, "And?" she asks.

Makenzie turns her attention towards me as well after her customer finishes paying. I continue, "It was so bizarre, I honestly don't even know how to describe it. He seemed like... upset?" I let out a long sigh, "And I still don't know what he wanted from me, I sorta booked it away from him after I asked."

The girls look at each other to share a concerned look before Layla cuts in, "Upset? Upset like how?"

I consider her words for a moment before responding, "He just didn't seem like himself. And when I brought up Shauna he got all defensive, as if he owed it to me to apologize for what I saw."

Makenzie tilts her head in what seemed to be confusion. I hear ya, girl.

"Blake," she says, "I hate to put this into your cute little head," she taps my forehead gently, "but have you ever considered that maybe Jaxon... likes you? As in like, more than a friend?"

I hold back laughter, "Makenzie, he barely likes me as a friend! And we're not even friends, we're roommates who tolerate each other at best," I reply back way too quickly.

The truth was that I could see Jaxon and I becoming friends at some point, however, it was really hard for me to open up to people. While bullshitting seemed to be my strong suit, for some reason it was way harder with Jaxon. He was so honest with me that it felt kinda icky to lie to him. And because of this, I tended to just say nothing.

Jaxon had been so open about his life to me. About his family. About Shauna. And I had given up absolutely nothing to him about myself. He deserved more than that, even just as my roommate.

I notice that I'm spacing out and quickly pull myself back into the conversation.

"I think him and I need to talk. I can't have bad blood with him if we're gonna be living together for the rest of the year, you know?"

Layla gives a sympathetic shrug, "Just be careful, sweetie. Boys like Jaxon Reid are used to getting whatever they want." She gives a small smile and looks back down to her sketches.

I let her words roll through my skull, Boys like Jaxon Reid are used to getting whatever they want. Whatever that meant.

Later that night, I prop myself up on the couch and get ready for week two of The Bachelor. I can't help but notice the tight knot forming in my stomach as I sit there, the anticipation of Jaxon's inevitable arrival home nearly making me sweat. I was anxious to talk to him and set the record straight. I just wanted things between us to be somewhat normal again.

Just as the opening sequence of the show hits the tv screen, I hear footsteps in the hallway approaching the door. I suck in a breathe and wait for the undeniable clamor of the keyhole popping open and the door swinging in.

I turn my attention away from the television to be met with Jaxon standing beside the couch, a tall brown bag in his right hand.

"Hey," he says, drawing my attention back up towards his face.