Chapter Five - Great Indoors

ACE: Okay Bee, let's hear your best and worst of the week.

ME: Alright... Best was getting an A on my first History report of the semester, worst was doing it :)

ACE: That's the best thing that's happened to you all week, are you kidding??

ME: Okay, smartass, what's yours?

ACE: Since we're going casual bests this week, I'd say having my morning coffee at Pavement, you ever been there? It's right off campus and they make some killer lattes.

Oh my god, Ace had been coming into Pavement?

What was I supposed to say, yes? No? If he had been coming in during the morning shift it was doubtful I would have seen him there but he clearly stops in enough to rank it as his best from the past week and I-

My cell phone buzzes again, pulling me out of my coffeehouse-induced spiral.

ACE: Or let me guess, you're one of those people who doesn't drink coffee and somehow feels superior to the rest of mankind who can't get in two sentences before some form of caffeine is shoved down their throats every morning?

ME: While extremely thought out and a little bit too detailed, I actually love coffee.

Nice, now just change the subject Blake.

ME: What's your worst of the week?

ACE: My poli-sci class for sure. It's actually so bad that I've gotten into the habit of checking my pulse at least three times per class to make sure I haven't died of boredom yet.

ME; And whose genius idea was it to take poli-sci as a freshman?

ACE: Don't ask me, my advisor said it would be "putting me on the path to success" early on in my major. Whatever that means. All I know is its boringggg!

"So you'll come?"

"Hmm? ... oh yeah sure."

"Oh my god, really?"

I suddenly become aware that Layla is indeed talking to me about something and decide to zone back in and turn away from my convo with Ace. Class was set to start any minute now, but Professor White had seemed to make a habit out of being late these past two weeks.

"Wait, what?" I ask.

"Welcome to the conversation!" she rolls her eyes at me, "The party tonight, tell me you'll come? Please, please, please I wanna style you so bad, and you can get ready with me and Kenz!"

"Tonight? I don't know Lay, I already told you I'm not super big on parties."

She gives me a pleading look, "I know, I know but we won't stay long and I won't even pressure you into drinking or anything. Pleaseee?" She gives me her best smile.

In my experience, nothing good ever came from parties. Not knocking other people who genuinely enjoyed them, but I seemed to have less than pleasant experiences at parties, at least in my high school years. But I had to admit that this time could be different. This time I would have genuine friends with me who didn't value me based on how well I did in a game of Beirut or if I was willing to make out with the hot football guys just to fit in.

"Okay fine. But I'm not playing drinking games and if a single sorority girl so much as throws up on me I'm out!"

"It'll be fine! Kenz and I won't leave your side and we'll leave whenever you want, okay? No pressure, I want this to be fun for you too!"