Chapter Twenty-Seven - Assassin

The party is already in full swing when we arrive at the frat house, loud music vibrating the walls, and people dressed in all kinds of unique costumes wherever my eyes seem to wander. I had to admit, there was a certain kind of joy that came with seeing so many people dressed up in fun costumes, a simple pleasure that I was often denied as a child. But I don't let myself dwell on that thought for too long.

Seeing so many other girls dressed in short skirts and bodysuits was weirdly comforting to me. It distracted me from thinking about any impending wardrobe malfunctions I may encounter and made me feel like I didn't stick out like a sore thumb. The thought alone causes me to breathe out a sigh of relief, which grabs Jaxon's attention.

"Hey, you good?" He asks and I give him a clipped nod yes. We find ourselves wandering towards the kitchen where a number of kegs are set up along with other random alcohol littering the countertops.

"If you want to drink I don't mind driving us home later," I tell Jaxon when I catch his eyes lingering on the kegs.

He sheepishly looks up at me before shaking his head, "No, no it's okay. I offered to drive you here and back. I wouldn't have offered if I didn't mean it," He tells me and I believe him.

"Okay," I tell him, "But if you change your mind-" Jaxon cuts me off with a short peck to my lips.

"I won't," He says, causing my lips to turn upward in a small smile.

"Okay, okay! Thank you," I tell him and he simply smiles in response. I would never get tired of that smile nor the feeling that blossomed inside of me knowing I was the one to make it appear.

Hearing someone clear their throat from behind me, I finally avert my eyes from Jaxon's and turn around. There stands Makenzie and Layla, both of them with red solo cups in their hands and giant smiles painted on their faces.

"Blake, c'mon you have to come dance with us!" Makenzie says, already moving her hips to the beat of the song from side to side.

Layla playfully rolls her eyes, "What she said."

I look back towards Jaxon who helps me make my decision when he says, "I think I saw some of the guys out in the living room. Go, have fun."

I smile up at him mouthing "Thank you" as Layla and Kenz all but pull me away and towards the hoard of people already dancing in the front room.

I don't know how much time has passed when I feel someone come up behind me and say my name. When I turn, I'm greeted by a grinning Hudson who's dressed as a vampire with dark makeup drawn around his eyes and fake fangs with blood dripping from his mouth. It looked pretty good.

"Hudson!" I all but squeal before giving him a crushing hug. It had been over a week since I'd last seen him and I had to admit I'd missed him in that short time. He never failed to make me smile when I was around him which was an aspect I admired most about our friendship.

When we lean out of the hug, Hudson gives me a once over before grinning, "This Lara Croft getup is insane, Blake, you look hot!"

"I told you so!" I hear Layla before I see her. Her and Kenz come to stand next to us, them and Hudson exchanging hellos and further compliments on each other's costumes while I busy myself with raking my eyes over the room around us.

When I notice Jaxon standing with a small group of people near the back of the living room I mutter a short apology to Hudson and the girls and excuse myself. Jaxon had asked me to come to this party with him as a date and he and I had barely spent any time together yet. In an effort not to interrupt the conversation, I quietly approach him and his friends, moving to stand between him and Aidan.