Chapter Nineteen - Helpless

"Wait, he's taking you out on another date tonight?" asks Makenzie from across Pavement as she wipes down the coffee-stained tables littering the coffeehouse.

"It's not really a big deal," I reply back, busying myself with things like stocking napkins and straws next to the register.

The Friday afternoon shift was the slowest we'd have all week, most people already focused on their weekend plans to bother with coffee. So it was just Kenz and me closing most Fridays which led to a lot of time for her to grill me on my personal life, her new favorite hobby it seemed.

"But it is a big deal. See, I knew you really liked him," she says, joining me back behind the counter but I just roll my eyes at her.

"I'm not denying that fact, you know? So what if Jaxon's taken me on a date and we're going out again tonight?"

"I don't know Blake, I mean one date is whatever but going out again and just a week later? Seems like he's really into you," she says, shrugging her shoulders. I just narrow my eyes at her.

"Are you trying to make me nervous or something? Jaxon knows that I'm not ready for anything serious right now, we're just having fun."

"Okay, but you're sure you know that? Don't get me wrong Bee, I'm so happy things are going well for you, but I just don't want to see you getting hurt over some guy."

"It's not some guy, Kenz, its Jaxon," I say, and she just stares at me for a moment before giving a small sigh.

"Okay, fine. But when I tell you that nothing will stop me from pushing Jax into traffic if this shit heads south, I mean nothing."

Caught off guard I give a throaty laugh, "You have nothing to worry about, just trust me," I tell her.

I swear I hear her whisper, "It's not you who I don't trust."

When I get back to the apartment just a couple hours later, I hastily put on a floral printed sundress and cardigan, throwing my hair up into a high ponytail. This would have to do for whatever Jaxon had planned for the night as I was running low on time.

Just as I go to put on some mascara there's a knock at my door. Glancing at my open laptop to check the time I notice its 6:45.

"You're early!" I yell out to Jaxon but he just knocks again. Huffing a sigh, I yell out, "Come in."

Jaxon opens the door with full force, almost making the lamp atop my dresser shake. He was dressed in a pair of tan khaki pants and a long-sleeved grey v-neck sweater. It suited him well.

"Anyone ever tell you you're like a bull in a china shop?" I ask and he immediately lets out a chuckle.

"No, but I'll keep that in mind," he takes a seat on my bed, "Are you ready or what, we have reservations to get to," he tells me matter-of-factly, taping the imaginary watch on his wrist.

My eyes go wide, "Reservations? You told me to be ready at seven, it's not even seven yet," I say, hastily finishing my makeup and going to slip on my shoes that were sat out next to my closet.

"Being extra punctual has never killed anyone," is his response, to which I just roll my eyes.

I grab my small black clutch off the desk and unplug my cellphone from its charger, checking off the made-up list of things to bring with me, "Okay, I think I'm ready," I look in my floor length mirror and pause, "You're not taking me anywhere fancy right?" I ask, inspecting my outfit once more.

I turn around and find Jaxon already looking at me, a genuine smile glued to his face, "You look perfect," he says, extending a hand out towards me which I grab, "Let's go."