Chapter Four: Weakness

‍

❝ This is going to take a long time
And I wonder what's mine ❞

    ‍
I was slightly nervous while walking up to Rick. With twigs snapping underneath my feet, I kept my eyes on him. He was loading his gun.

"Rick!" I hurriedly forced my feet the run the last bit towards him.

He turned his head in my direction, and so did Daryl who was standing beside him. The expression on Rick's face never changed once he saw me, and he took his eyes away from me once I was less than five feet away from him.

"I want a gun." I said.

He chuckled when I didn't expect him to. "You know how to use one? You didn't have one on you when you got here."

I shook my head, crossing my arms over my chest because of the slight cold. "A little. But if I'm going with you I would need one."

"Then, no." He said without looking at me once.

Daryl watched me come to my own defence, and he quickly cut me off when he saw I was about to open my mouth to argue. "Can't have you shootin' us up, new girl." He said.

I had the urge to roll my eyes, but I didn't. "But you can't leave me unarmed."

"Forget about it." Rick said. "We'll have to find the right place and time to train you."

I sighed and put my hands on my hips. I knew I wouldn't be stupid enough to fire their way, and using a gun couldn't be that difficult. He basically already told me not to try again, hence why he avoided my argument.

Although I knew that no would stay no, I couldn't help but try again. I shouldn't press Rick's nerves, I knew that, but going out there with a gun between my fingers would feel much safer.

"Then, what would I defend myself with?" I question him. I was clueless as to whether I should try again after he would repeat his latest answer. I knew what it was like out there.

Rick sighed deeply, this time turning to face me. "You've defended yourself before. Do it again that way. The answer's no, Hayley."

"Besides, we'll be there, too. Don't worry." Daryl told me quickly before I could open my mouth again. Then, he gave Rick a soft pat on his shoulder. "I'm gonna get the car ready."

And that's when Daryl took off, leaving me with Rick who did the same not even seconds later. I was thinking about just taking one, but I knew that's not how I would win their trust and support.

As I was thinking to myself, making a mess of my own thoughts, Shane walked up to me. I noticed the 22 necklace still hanging around his neck. It's crazy how he hasn't lost it in this new world.

"What's with the frown?" He curiously asked me, a small smile forming on his lips.

For a second I wasn't in the mood to answer, but I did anyway. I wiped my dark brown hair out of my face before answering him.

"Rick doesn't want me to have a gun." I said.

Shane rested his back against the camper. "You don't know how to use one?" He asked.

I shrugged. The funny thing was that I started to realise Rick might have a point. "Not really. But I should be able to have one to defend myself, don't you think?— At least that's my opinion."

"Mhm." Shane crossed his arms over his chest. "Well, it's up to Rick. Even if I agreed I couldn't hand you one, but I'm sure they'll keep you save."

A silence fell between us. Perhaps I could be wrong, I was just assuming when I caught him keeping that smile on his face and his eyes searching for contact with mine. It was something he would often do before this all happened, and I loved this. He felt like home.

"Well, be safe. That's what I came to say." He said quietly.

"You're not going with us?"

He shook his head. "They need me here."

"Thank you." I said to him. I didn't even realise how much I loved his concern when I said that— it's been a while since somebody showed me they cared. I locked eyes with him.

Shane nodded. And before either of us could say anything else, I heard Daryl call out my name in the distance. It looked like he wanted to say something, but the silence remained.

The wind blew my hair in my face. "I should go."

Good luck." He said. "I'll see you later."

We exchanged weak smiles. I was unsure about giving him a hug so I didn't. When I turned around and walked away, I knew that I should've considered it, because I might never see him again if I don't return. Who knows?

A/N: this chapter is quite short, I know. But I didn't know what else to add. I want the next chapter to be about getting the supplies that they need. That will be enough on its own, and I'm so excited to write that chapter.

So I hope this wasn't boring, and I hope I'm building Shane's and Ana's friendship slowly but well enough for them to get even closer soon.

Hope there aren't many spelling mistakes, I'm too tired to check. Thank you for reading again if you did. Hope you enjoyed! Leave a comment and vote please!