Chapter Seven: Peace

‍ 

❝ Kaleidoscope mind
Gets in the way ❞

‍ 
It was shortly after noon when not even half our group made their way to the river. I wasn't a fan of it being surrounded by our fences, but it wasn't far and it was hidden between trees and bushes perfectly. 

    The fear of Walkers never went away. I constantly woke up to it spreading in my chest and squeezing my lungs, and I wasn't the only one with that problem. I often heard Beth, her cries leaving the camper around midnight and then I usually listened to Carol trying to calm her down.

     Even right now that same fear hung in the air when I dipped my bare foot in the water, sighing in relief at the feeling that I'd missed so much. So after taking a look around me to see Shane and Carl not far from me, I pulled my pants down to my knees. I seized them off my ankles and I was quick to leave my shirt on the shore, too.

     The cold water surrounded my body when I let myself down slowly and I hissed at the feeling. Of course I'd rather get myself clean with warm water, but either way it was such a relief to feel clean.

     Nevertheless, I couldn't feel relaxed. I kept two eyes open just in case.

     That's also how I spotted Rick not too far away from me at all. I watched him remove his shirt, but I quickly turned my back to him. Hadn't he seen me? I guess I was well hidden by the trees and bushes.

     Seconds later I was too satisfied with this clean feeling that I couldn't bring myself to care anymore. He will probably leave anyway once he notices me, I thought to myself. But even if I was able to ignore his presence, the irritation with him grew.

"Guess who?" Without warning, hands were suddenly covering my eyes, and I gasped— I could quickly tell who this was. His voice gave him away, it was coming from behind me.

I chuckled, trying to peel his hands off my face. "Good morning, Shane."

His arms fell back to his sides and he was letting me see again. "Dang. How'd you know?" He sarcastically said as my eyes made contact with his.

I didn't answer his question, instead I suck deeper into the water, hiding my body until he was only able to see me down to my collarbones.

     My eyes locked with him daringly. His exposed chest was something I tried to keep my eyes off. I was able to control myself surprisingly well, unlike the past time that I'd spent with him. It almost made me chuckle when thinking of it.

     Shane gave me a look, going through his knees so he wasn't hovering over me anymore. "What's so funny, hm?" He asked.

     "Nothing. Just thinking."

     "About?"

     I shrugged. "Private."

There was no way that I was going to tell him what I'd just thought of, however, teasing wouldn't hurt. It's something I used to do a lot to him— I did miss those times.

     He nodded with a smile on his lips. "Ah."

    I brought my hair to one side, hanging it over my shoulder and curls poking my neck. Our of the corner of my eye I could see Rick disappear under the cold water of the river. I ignored him.

     Then, I realised Shane was sneaking up behind me. his hands around my waist. "Well, is there a possibility that I can make you tell me?" He'd brought his lips to my neck, and goosebumps appeared on my skin.