Chapter Thirty-Seven: Colour

‍ ‍

❝ Your faithless love's the only hoax
I believe in ❞

‍ ‍
We arrived scarcely an hour later.

To stand in front of these high walls and being offered a safe place to stay sounded like an actual dream come true to all of us. I tore out my hesitation, or at least I tried to, and bend my boundaries as far as I could to be able to follow my brother's footsteps without a doubt.

     "It's okay, guys. Come in."

     My brother was obviously unsure of the situation. He kept taking a look over his right shoulder every few seconds to see the group's unassertive faces.

     Michonne was the first to step foot inside. Rick and I were right on her heels. I kept an eye on Carl just in case when his father wasn't looking.

     "Before we take this any further I need you all to turn over your weapons." Benjamin spoke as soon as the gate fell closed behind our backs. "To stay, you hand them over."

     I almost snickered. There was no way I was going through with that even with my brother standing right in front of me— hell, there was no way Rick was going to let Terminus happen all over again. Therefore the entire group refused, standing our ground.

     And when Ben was about to open his mouth, aiming for a possible repetition, I shook my head at him.

     "We don't know if we wanna stay." Rick spoke confidently.

     The leader clearly tensed up when another resident approached us to stand with my brother. I placed my hand on the gun that was still stuck in my belt, almost without realisation.

     "If we were going to use them we would've started already." Carol also spoke up. She couldn't have been more right.

     The man that approached us seemed to be around the age of my brother. He wore a raincoat with a checkered shirt underneath. Right before I was about to ask to identify himself he introduced himself as Aaron.

     "They should talk to Deanna first." Aaron suggested in only a matter of seconds. My brother nodded his head, instantly agreeing with the idea

Ben didn't seem at ease and I would be lying if I said that I was.

His eyes continued to linger around Rick and I, then back to Aaron and they'd fall on the weapon in my hands, eventually back up to my eyes.

Not having seen him for such a long time did not push on me right now. I was by far more focused on the group's safety and my own. And knowing we were locked inside these walls— a feeling that suddenly felt so brand new— pushed us to such a level of consciousness that was almost overwhelming. I needed time to get used to that feeling. We all did.

"Who's Deanna?" I asked.

Aaron spoke quite confidently. "She knows everything you'd want to know about this place."

I looked over at Rick, giving him a hopeful and certain nod and I received one back. There was no way we were going to let this change fall. Even if this place and the people in it couldn't be trusted, I knew what my duty would be.