Chapter One

I hid my face behind the pages of the book my mum had got me yesterday as someone sat down next to me. I didn't know the girl's name but I knew she had been talking about me today. "Hey, nice sweater."

Confused I looked up. I thought she didn't like me...? "Err, thanks," I stammered.

"Yeah, it doesn't fit a face ugly as yours."

Turning back the attention to my book I gulped. Of course she wasn't nice. Who would ever be? I was ugly, fat and a geek. Of course everyone hated me. I had a high, annoying voice, a lot of people had told me already. "By the way, you should leave school, really. You're even annoying the teachers with being her. Why are you even here?" The girl added and I shrugged, unable to answer. You would think I should be used to the talking already... But it still hurt as much as the day I first heard the mean words from someone's mouth. "I mean, seriously. It's bad for you, it's bad for us. So just leave."

I tugged on my sweater's sleeve and pulled it down my arm. Since someone found out about my scars people even told me I was a coward because I couldn't even kill myself when I tried to. I was too stupid for even doing this.

I let out s shaky breath and felt my eyes prickle with tears. I didn't look up but the girl saw them after all. "Oh, god, stop crying already, baby." She rolled her eyes and got up.

I hid my face behind my book even more and blinked so I stopped crying. I really had no idea what I had done so everyone hated me. I also had no idea why people weren't even afraid to tell me such things. I would never be able to hurt anyone on purpose.

I let out another breath as I realized I had calmed down a bit as I pushed away the thoughts. I started reading again as the voice of the headmaster said, "Jade Thirlwall to my office, please. Jade Thirlwall."

I quickly got up, walking out of the room, followed by everyone's eyes. I had no idea why he was calling me but I was happy for every excuse I had to skip class. I looked at the door in front of me.

Apparently it was too expensive to make a new sign for every new headmaster we had so we only had a sign saying "The headmaster's office". I knocked and the man named James Jordan called me to come in.

Surprised I found my maths teacher sitting in front of us - she should be in our class right now; I was already wondering why she wasn't. "Please, take a seat, Jade," she smiled at me and patted at a chair's seat next to her.

I nodded and put my books and backbag on the floor before I sat down next to Mrs McRay. "Here I am," I said and put on a smile that hopefully looked genuinely.

"Well, Mrs McRay just told me somthing about you and the way the other students treat you... Is it true?"

I was shocked but tried to hold my poker face. "What is true?"

"That you're being bullied."

"Sir!" Mrs McRay protested. "You cannot ask her like that, she really suffers!"

I gulped as the headmaster looked at me sorrowful. "I'm sorry, Ms Thirlwall. But... could you please tell me why you did not tell us that your classmates are bullying you?"

Wide eyed I looked at him. I had no idea what to say! Who would tell the teachers in a case like this? They'd ask the students why they're doing this and then they would be even meaner because I couldn't handle it all on my own.

"We already called your parents."

My eyes almost popped out of my eyeholes. They did what?! What would they say?! "They will be here shortly. Mrs McRay will go back to class in the meantime, she had told me everything."