Birthday

He came, and saw, and you never would see anyone get so excited over anything, ever.

"I-is it for me?" He screams, running over to the cake.

"Yeah! You're turning seven, you need a special party!" I walk over to the little boy who's admiring the cake.

"Eeeeee!!" He squeals and I laugh.

We sing the birthday song and eat cake and Jay seems so happy.  I can't wait to tell him he gets a present.

"Jay, did you know you get a present!" I squeal, showing him the box.

His eyes light up and a smile appears on his face. He starts carefully opening the present to reveal a box with something in it.  As I look over his shoulder I see a remote controlled car, all red and shiny. 

"What is it?" He seems bored, not realizing what it is.

"A car! That you can control! You use the remote and-" Steve starts.

"Here..." I say, taking it out of the box and Steve hands me the batteries.

I carefully put in the batteries as Jayson watches, amazed.  I then put the car on the floor and turn on the remote, then I press the buttons and the car moves.

"Cool!" Jay yells, reaching for the remote.

"Be careful Jay, ok?" I ask, I don't want him to break the car or remote.

"Ok!" He runs off, although I doubt it will stay unbroken.

"He's so cute." Steve comes up behind me.

"I know, such a sweet boy." I respond facing him.

"Hey Chess?" Steve asks.

"Do you think his real parents are alive?" Steve asks.

"I've been thinking the same thing, and I'm not sure." I respond, looking into his eyes.

"Because, we could try and find them." Steve tells me.

"Why would we, Jay's my baby boy, no one else's." I state, offended somewhat.

"We-well that's not what I meant, I meant that- oh never mind." Steve hugs me.

-6 years later-

"Jay! Let's go!" I yell, waiting for the 13 year old to come down.

It was shopping day, and I was growing impatient, very impatient. We should have gone shopping two days ago, but it was rainy.