Chapter One

Clarke rolled over in the bed and blindly reached for her buzzing cellphone in the dark bedroom of the house that she had shared with Janet for over a year now. She tried to focus her eyes on the bright screen long enough to see the name of the incoming call.

"Hey you." She said in a low raspy tone. It was just a little after 3 am. "I didn't think I would get to talk to you today, I'm so glad you called. How is Tokyo? The show should be starting soon right?" She asked as she sat up against the headboard and turned on the side table lamp. Sniffles could be heard on the other end of the phone. "Honey? Is everything okay?" Tiny cries escaped from Janet making Clarke feel helpless. "Please talk to me baby."

"I'm just so exhausted." She said quietly. "I've been going nonstop and I'm horribly jet lagged... I just want to come home." She began to sob. "I miss you and I miss my baby boy so much. I haven't held him in my arms in weeks. I wanna come home Clarke."

Clarke sat up at the side of the bed as she listened on. All she wanted to do was just hold her.

The truth is, they hadn't had much time for each other lately. After the first leg of the SOTW came to an end, more shows were at high demand. Clarke was only filling in for another singer who was under an extended contract. Once she was over her sickness, she reclaimed her place on the stage along with a another new singer and a few new dancers. Clarke was offered the job but made the tough decision to turn it down.

After Noah helped with her portfolio, she was immediately bombarded with job offers. One job included her being in Paris for a few weeks and Germany for a week after that. Other than that, all of Clarke's work had been in LA and she is home most nights by dinner.

She and Janet had seen each other face to face only a hand full of times within the past 6 months and they were definitely beginning to feel the distance. It was taking a toll on them and the time spent apart began to cause small arguments, including the fight they'd had right before Janet left for Japan.

All of that was behind them as Clarke felt tears swelling in her eyes. She listened to Janet continue to cry and finally spoke.

"Baby, I want you to listen to me okay?" She said. "Just two more shows and you will get all the rest that you need. Remember our promise?" She asked.

"I remember." Janet said softly. "The summer is ours."

"Exactly! So when you get back, all of our time can be spent together... as a family. So be strong for me beautiful, I know that you can do this."

There was knock on Janet's dressing room door.

"Dunk? Honey, we have to get going. It's down to the wire babe." Gil said from the other side. Janet glanced towards his voice, then closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

"I know," Clarke said. "You have to go."

Janet was quiet for a moment, then spoke.

"This year has been hard for us. I know it's because I'm gone all the time but I promise things will be back to the way they were when I get home. I love you so much Clarke."

"I love you too baby. I don't know if the Japanese wear wigs but they bout to get snatched taaahhhnight!" Clarke joked, sending Janet into a sweet laugh.

"Sleep well beautiful. I'll call as soon I can. Give my baby a kiss for me please." She said and hung up.

Clarke gazed at her phone for a moment. She was worried about Janet but a reassuring text from Gil helped to ease her mind and she got back in bed where she lay awake until the sun came up.