Chapter Twelve

As Clarke hung the picture of her mom back on the wall of her old loft, she took a deep sigh of relief

"It is good to be home, isn't it mom?" She said.

There was a knock at the door. Gil, Emori and Max all wanted to be there with her for her first night back home.

The girls took a seat and Gil skimmed the room for a moment.

"Girl," He said. "I can't breath in here? Was it really always this small?" He asked. Clarke laughed.

"Yes," She answered and laughed. "And I've missed it so much." She said. "Now who has the alcohol?"

Max laughed and pulled a couple of bottles out of a small black bag.

"The good stuff has arrived!" She announced proudly.

Gil grabbed the bottles while Emori got them all glasses.

Max stepped outside to have a cigarette. Clarke followed.

"Hey, can I bum one of those?" She asked.

"I didn't think you smoked." Max said, handing her the pack and lighter. Clarke took one out and lit it.

"I don't but I figured today is as good as any." She joked and took a long drag. "I wanted to talk to you about something." She said finally.

"I know man." Max said and glanced at her. "Emori told me." Clarke turned to face her. Regret lined her eyes.

"I'm so sorry. I need you to know that I would never want to disrespect you and her. I've just been so messed up you know?"

"I get it man, there is no bad blood between us." Max said and then playfully grabbed Clarke into a head lock. "But if you try to kiss my wife again bruh, we gone have it out homie." She said before setting Clarke free. They hugged.

"Thank you for not being upset."

"I was at first, but then I realized... I trust my wife, and as my friend, I trust you too. You deserve so much better than what you got from Janet but if there is any ounce of you that thinks it's not time to let it go, then fight for that woman." She said. "That's what I did with Emori and the way my wife has changed, I'm so glad I stuck around." Max headed back inside but not before handing Clarke another cigarette. "I'll leave you to your thoughts homie."

Clarke lit it, closed her eyes and thought on Max's words. As Janet came into her mind her stomach began ache.

Gil stepped outside.

"Bitch!" He said and snatched the cigarette from her hand before lighting his own.

"Gil! Damn it. I was enjoying that."

"No, you don't need to be smoking. It's not good for you or your voice. Find another out let cuz that ain't it honey." He said and took a puff from it.