Chapter Ten

Janet paced back and forth in her living room. Clarke still hadn't called or responded to any of her text messages. She thought the talk they had would cool things off a bit but now she was starting to think Clarke was still upset with her.

She called her phone again, just to get her voicemail.

"Hi baby it's me. I just want to know you made it safely. I know you're busy and I'm not trying to bug you, I just, I just miss you and I hope to hear from you soon. I love you... please call me."

After a couple of days of "the silent treatment", Gil finally called to invite her for a night out. He made it clear that he was still upset but didn't want to be any longer.

He arrived early and sat quietly on the edge of her bed, on his phone. Janet walked her over to the bed and peeked over his shoulder to see Clarke's name. She walked back into the bathroom.

"So..." She said as she fidgeted with her hair in the mirror. "Have you heard from Clarke?"

Gil scoffed.

"I saw you peek over my shoulder nosey." He said. Janet stormed out of the restroom in frustration and stood in front of him.

"Well she hasn't answered any of my calls or texts. We always call when we land... always." She said hanging her head in defeat.

"Dunk She is upset with you... and for good reason. Hell, if she only knew there was waaaaay more to be upset about." He said and rolled his eyes as he stood to his feet. "You have treated that girl like shit ever since you laid eyes on Shawnette. You always do this. I understood why when you were with Rene." He said. "But Janet, this is Clarke we're talking about.

"I told you, I'm done with Shawnette. I'm not going to see her ever again."

Gil walked towards the bedroom door, stopped and looked at her over his shoulder.

"I wouldn't bet on it Janet... I'll be waiting in the car." He said leaving her standing there.

Joey led them into the club and straight to the VIP section. As they walked inside, Janet noticed Shawnette standing just a few feet away from them. She was smiling and laughing while surrounded by a group of younger women. Janet pretended not to notice and kept walking.

Shawnette didn't noticed them at all until the DJ spoke over the music and announced Janet's presence. She forced herself to focus on the giggling girls around her.

"Ms. Jackson if ya Nasty is the house with us tonight y'all!" The MC said over the speakers, sending the crowd of people into cheers.

Janet looked in Shawnette's direction. She hadn't moved or even looked over at them. Instead she was leaning against the bar talking and flirting with a girl who looked barely old enough to be there.

Janet threw back her third drink. Gil laughed knowing she couldn't hold her alcohol very well.

"Slow down bitch, I'm not letting Joey carry your ass out of here tonight." He said. Her cheeks were flushed with a shade of pink as she giggled.

"Let's go dance." She said and did a little shimmy. They never went to the dance floor anymore.

"How bout we just dance here?" Gil suggested but she grabbed his hand and pulled him through the crowd. They moved so fast Joey didn't know what else to do but follow.

The people around them were in awe as Janet made her way around, giving them each a little moment with her as they danced to the music. Gil laughed, took her hand and spun her around. She caught another glimps of Shawnette.