Chapter Seven

Janet sat quietly on the bed and watched Clarke struggle to get her suitcase closed. She laughed quietly, but loud enough to catch Clarke's attention.

Clarke glanced up at her and smiled.

"What?" She said with a grunt as the zipper finally gave and it closed completely.

"I told you to get a bigger suitcase. In our line of work, you need more space baby."

"I know, I know." She said and laid across the bottom of their bed. "So what are you gonna do for a week while I'm gone?" Clarke asked.

Janet shrugged.

"Besides Vegas stuff, I'm not sure. Gil has a full plate and is working hard on this. I finally have a day off, which is today and you're leaving." She said and pouted.

"I'm going to be so bored without you though."

Janet laughed.

"Please... it's gay pride and you're their star this year. Photo shoots, a magazine cover and your own float. You'll have plenty of pretty girls distracting you I'm sure." Janet said as she leaned back against their headboard and folded her arms.

Clarke crawled over to her and laid her head in Janet's lap.

"No what would I want with any of those girls, when I have the most beautiful fiancé in the world waiting at home just for me?" Clarke said, gazed up at her and smiled.

Janet shifted Uncomfortably against the sheets beneath her. Fiancé. She said to herself.

Clarke noticed, sat up on the edge of the bed and looked back at her.

"I'm gonna go get some ice cream, do you want any?" Janet asked as she got out of the bed and headed for the kitchen. Clarke sat for a moment, got up and followed.

She walked into the kitchen where Janet stood infront of the fridge, looking down at her phone.

Clarke stood there for a moment.

"Do you not want to marry me anymore?" She asked.

Janet glanced over at her. The sad expression on Clarke's face made her stomach hurt. She turned around to face her.

"Why would you ask me that?"

"Because we never talk about it. At first I thought it was because Joseph had passed, then more time went by and..."

"Don't bring my father into this." Janet said sternly.

"I'm not trying to upset you, it just seems like-"

"Well you have. You know how hard this has been for me. Not to mention I have a lot on my plate." Janet said and leaned back against the counter.

"Too much to fit me in?" Clarke asked. She turned around and walked out of the room.

Janet didn't chase her. She stayed in the kitchen. Her face was hot and she knew she was going to cry. She covered her face with her hands and tried to keep it together but it was too late. Her hands were already wet with her tears as she forced back sobs.

"Baby..." Clarke said. She'd come back into the kitchen. Janet couldn't look at her. She kept her face covered. "I'm sorry, please forgive me. I- I don't want to argue before I leave tonight. I don't want to be away for a week with us being mad at each other." She stepped closer and gently wrapped her arms around Janet, who couldn't hold back her sobs anymore. "I also don't want to pressure you. You're not ready and I understand. This is not just about me, it's about you too J and... what I'm trying to say as, take as long as you need. I'm not going anywhere whether we're married or not, I'm yours."