Chapter 3

Jesse

As Nathan literally speed walks away from me, I know I messed up.
Did I actually say that in front of everyone? Crap, I should've chosen my words better.
Keep tabs on him? What's wrong with me?
"Wow. Real smooth, Cimorelli. Could you have said that any louder? You just ruined your little brother's first day." Owen says to my left. He takes the empty spot beside me.
I close my eyes in regret. I hoped nobody would have noticed. "Shut up, Strong." I growl.
"Just saying. Maybe try to be a little less overprotective, Jesse. I mean, it's his first day. Nothing's gonna happen." Owen says.
Ugh. Owen's probably right. As always.
Owen knows everything about Nathan. He's been my best friend ever since Freshman year of Highschool. Besides him, my old friend Jase is the only one who knows everything about me and my family. Well, his real name is Jason but I was the only one that called him Jase.
Jason was like my brother. . We basically grew up together. But then we got into a big fight. I wasn't really sure what he was yelling at me about or accusing me of, but I guess ever since I joined the football team, and started to join another clique, we just grew apart. I gotta admit, I miss him all the time.
"Babe?" Nikki snaps me back into the present. "Did you hear a word that I said?"
"What?" I look at her and narrow my eyes, dumbfounded.
Nikki groans. "I asked what movie we're seeing tonight?"
"Oh." Of course. The movies. She always wants the movies. A place where people don't talk or actually get to know anything about each other. Now that I think about it, we've never actually had a real conversation. The only thing we've talked about is what color she should paint her nails, or about the game of the season, or maybe on super rare occasions, how my day is going, but never have we actually talked.
"Whatever you wanna watch." I reply, not really caring.
Now I kinda understand why Nate doesn't like her.
Wait, what am I saying?
"Gotta get to class, Cimorelli." Owen says next to me.
Thank God. No offense to Nikki, but she can be a little clingy.
"Right." I stand up, having Nikki fall off my lap and onto the couch. She makes a face and glares at me. "Sorry baby, gotta go. Me and Owen got Civics."
"Don't forget me." Riley whines.
"Whatever man." Owen says.
I lean down and peck Nikki on the lips. She plasters that smile back on her face.
"Meet me after class?" She pouts.
"You know it." I force a smile on my face.
She giggles.
I turn away before she sees me roll my eyes.
"Whoa. Is Jesse finally getting tired of Nikki?" Owen says, noticing my eye roll. "Because, to be honest, I've been done with her from the beginning. And besides, she's not even your type." Owen finishes.
"Dude, I don't even know what my type is." I sigh.
"Then we'll find it. Just say the word and I could tell Nikki myself. I mean, I'd be happy to." Owen replies.
"Or I can take her off your hands." Riley says to my left.
Me and Owen glare at him.
He holds his hands up, as if surrendering, "Jeez, can't you guys take a joke?"
We start to stroll down the halls. Then finally taking a right, we end up in Civics.
Mr. Shuman greets us all as we walk into the classroom.
"But seriously man." Owen begins. "No offense or anything, but you have horrible taste in girls."
I glance at him as I take my seat next to him on the left, and Riley sits in the seat in front of me. We sit near the back left corner of the classroom.
"But that's what you have me for." He continues.
"Right, 'cause you have such good taste in girls yourself." I sarcastically remark.
"Ok, first of all, Sierra was just a one time thing, so don't even bring her into this, and second I happen to read people well."
"Oh really?" I look around the classroom, taking in the students in this class. I look at Cayden, a guy in the front who's rapidly trying to get his homework done before class starts. "Can you read Cayden? What's he thinking right now?" I challenge Owen.
Owen stares intensely at Cayden, then puts his pointer fingers to his temples. "Let's see."
"Oh my god." Riley groans.
I chuckle.
"Well, it's pretty crazy in there." Owen continues. "Okay he's thinking, 'Mr. Shuman is going to fail me if I don't get this done. Oh crap, my life is over. If my GPA goes down to a 4.5 my mom is gonna kill me." Owen says in the most ridiculous dorky voice.
Me and Riley laugh out loud, drawing a few student's attention towards us. Cayden looks back towards us and sees Owen staring at him. "Why is that dude staring at me." Owen continues to "read his mind". "Can he stop? He's seriously creeping me out. Omg how is he reading my mind?" This time, me and Riley laugh even louder, and Owen joins in. Mr. Shuman glares at us, making us stop in an instant. Owen clears his throat and mumbles a sorry.
"But you get my point, man." Owen starts. "I'm basically a pro at matchmaking."
"Mhmm."
"Come on! Every girl in this school wants to date The Jesse Cimorelli. Just get rid of her and you'll have someone else in no time." Owen smiles.
"Dude, that sounds like the kind of guy who I don't wanna be would do. So no thanks."
Owen sighs. "Fine, whatever you want." He turns to face the front of the class. I'm stunned. He never gives up that easily. Hmm, maybe becoming a senior is maturing him for the better.
"But just to warn you." He says.
I take that back.
"You'll regret being with her for the rest of the year. You'll regret having to take her to prom. You'll regret having to say "I do" on that special day, with her standing in front of you-"
"Dude."
"Ok maybe that was a bit too far, but you get the point. Does she even make you happy?'
I groan. I put my head in my hands and close my eyes.
He's right though.
Do I really wanna waste my time with someone that I'm not happy with? And if I'm questioning my relationship with Nikki, then I shouldn't even be with her at all.
I hesitate at first, then sigh deeply, "Fine." I say.
Owen looks at me, "Fine what?" A knowing smirk crosses his face. He already knows.
"You're right." I mumble.
Owen puts a hand to his ear and leans towards me. "Sorry, couldn't hear you, wanna repeat that?"
Little punk.
" Strong...shut up." I growl. "I'm gonna end it with her."
He smiles widely. "Finally."
This isn't gonna end well. Knowing Nikki, she's gonna make a huge scene out of this. Making me look like the bad guy. Bet she'll love the attention. But Nathan doesn't even like her, so it would be for the best.
Mr. Shuman starts the class. "Happy Monday everyone, hope you had a good weekend. I'm gonna come around and collect your homework, so please have it out on your desk." The three of us take out our homework, as the door to the classroom opens. I'm taken aback as I look up from my desk to see Jase walk in. He makes eye contact with me. His expression first goes from confusion to irritation, but only for a split second before he quickly looks away. I look at the slip of paper in his hands.
Oh no.
"Mr. Finley." Mr. Shuman addresses Jason.
"Mr. Shuman." Jason replies in the same tone.
A couple kids laugh.
After glaring at Jason, Mr. Shuman takes the slip of paper that's handed to him and studies it for a few moments. After he's finished, he looks up and said exactly what I was fearing. "Welcome to the Class, Jason."
Well, this is gonna be one heck of a year.
The only seat left is the one that's two seats in front of Owen, so he takes the seat, hesitantly, still trying to look around for other ones to sit in, but gives up. I was planning on avoiding Jase this year. Just like the year before and the year before that. I glance at Owen from the corner of my eye. His expression is twisted with worry. He must've seen how me and Jason reacted to seeing each other.
"Awkward." Riley sings in a whispering voice.
I glare at him. He holds his hands up in surrender.
Mr. Shuman continues class, "Ok guys, pass your papers down to me."
I turn around to collect the paper from the girl behind me. Iris I think her name is. She's digging through her bag, her long, light brown hair covering her face as she looks down, searching for her paper. Then she pulls out her folder to collect her homework.
She looks up at me, her hair flipping over her shoulder, showing her olive skin, accompanied with beautiful dark, round eyes. I smile gently. Her natural light red lips open in shock. I reach my hand out as she puts the paper in my hand, our eyes still locked on each others before I turn back around to face the classroom. I smile to myself.