Chapter 15

Jesse

      The water was 5 feet up against the glass doors, and still rising. Water was pouring through the cracks. And more and more cracks kept forming as the pressure of the water kept rising. The flood came out of nowhere. There are no windows in the nurses office, so we couldn't have noticed it.
   But what really damaged me. Were the bodies. There were bodies everywhere. And those bodies belonged to our fellow classmates....former classmates. They were all outside, some banging up against the windows. Some out into the parking lot, floating around the sunken cars, where buses were also sinking. 

The buses came for us. Everyone was just trying to get home. 

          But how could that level of water have killed all of them, it's not deep enough to do this much damage and if the water didn't break through yet then it couldn't have been powerful enough.
        Booms of thunder sounded and a lightning strike hit the surface of the water near one of the buses. Almost 20 meters away from us. It was the lightning. 
       Iris cries beside me, her hands covering her mouth as the tears kept falling. I finally take the strength to look away from the horrific scene and pull Iris away from the front entrance doors,  the glass nearly breaking in, and take us back towards the nurses office, my hand still holding hers. 
   Iris lets out a sob. I stop my advance back towards the nurses office and take Iris into my arms. Her tears soaking my shirt. I stroke her hair and have my other arm around her waist. She fists my shirt in her hands and cries. 
  "What's happening?" She sobs. 
I shake my head, not knowing the answer that I want most. "I don't know." I whisper. "I dont know."