Chapter 16

Iris

   Before today, I've never seen a dead body. Seeing so many, especially those of my classmates really broke me. Nathan was still holding me and he was being so gentle. I never thought Jesse Cimorelli would be stroking my hair and wrapping me in his arms, but anything is possible. From today's circumstances, I finally see that now.
    "We have to go warn the others." Jesse whispers in my ear.
I nod against his chest. He releases me from his grasp and turns to head towards the nurse's office. I follow. We were coming up to the stairwell that hits right in the middle of the hallway between the office and the nurse's office. We were passing by the stairs, when we heard the yelling.

        "Help! Is anybody there?!" It was a male voice coming from the stairwell going down. Me and Jesse look at each other, both wondering what to do. "I can't move!" It was a four story stairwell. One set going up and another going down. It was only lit by the red emergency lights. Jesse slowly moved closer to the stairs, and I stuck close. As we got closer we could see that the stairs were gradually flooding with water. 
       Jesse looks over at me. "Okay Iris, I need you to go back to the others and let them know about the flood. Tell them we gotta get out of here now."
      "What are you gonna do?" I ask.
"I'm just gonna check it out." He hesitates before making his way down and turns to me. "If I don't make it back, tell Nate it's not his fault okay?" I can hear the hurt in his voice.
     I hesitate with my response, before I nod quickly. "You'll make it back."
  He chuckles. "Ok. I'll see you soon. Get them all to the top floor."
 I nod.   "Be careful." I force a smile.
He smiles back, then advances down the stairs.
  He'll make it back.