Chapter 17

Jesse

I was now standing on the stairwell platform, looking down into the dark hallway. The guy continued screaming for help. "I don't want to die! Please, somebody help me!"

I begin to walk down the last set of stairs when I reach the rising water. It was warm, so at least I don't have to worry about frostbite. I go in further until I'm knee deep in flood water. It was murky, so I couldn't see any further than my knee.

I entered into a three way intersection, and I wasn't sure which way he was. "Hello? Where are you?!" I called out.

"Jess? Jesse is that you?" He asked. It was coming from the left hallway. I knew that voice. "Jesse?"

It was Riley.

"Riley! I'm here." I yell out.

I make my way down the flooded hallway, more determined to save my friend. This whole floor will be completely submerged in less than a few minutes. I swim by open classrooms and see water pouring in through the cracks of the windows. The water was up to my waist and rising quickly.

I could barely see anything, the water was coming off as red from the emergency lights, which gave the whole place a Jaws kind of vibe. I took my phone out, just in case to make sure it was really unusable. It was.

I could only move so slowly, I made it halfway and it sounded like Riley was in one of the farthest classrooms. There were seven classrooms in this hallway, three to the left side and four to the right. I was about to make it to the third one on my right, when I felt something crash against my leg underwater. I jumped, scared to death, but kept walking. "Riley keep talking to me man."

"I don-I don't know what happened man." Last classroom. "We were just leaving the school, but I didn't know where you guys were. So I left the group. I was just looking for you guys."

I walk into the room and Riley in front of the teachers desk, chest deep underwater, on his knees. He looks up at me with a smile on his face, relieved. I quickly trudge through the water to get to him. "What's wrong Riley?"

Riley starts to stutter over his words. "Uh-when I came looking for you guys, I was still outside when the flood came. I-It was crazy. I couldn't see anything, until I crashed through the window and ended up here." I look up to see one of the windows completely shattered. "I was just walking out, but it felt like something shocked me and my legs gave out. I can't move." 

The lightning. I can see red and black marks on Riley's neck, leading down into his shirt.

"Okay, there was some lightning bud, so you're body is probably in shock." Riley's eyes widen. "Can you try to move again?"

I can see the struggle in Riley's eyes for a moment, but he shakes his head. His eyes start to water.

"It's okay man, I'm gonna get you out." The water was now up to his neck. "I'm gonna pick you up okay?" Riley nods. I grab his right arm and wrap it around my shoulders. I stand him up, but no pained reaction from him. He's completely numb.

"Wait wait wait." Riley shouts.

"What is it? Are you in pain?"

"Nikki. Nikki was with me."