Mother's Day

Sorry for the lack of one shots recently. I've been focusing on my other stories.

I know it's slightly late but here is a mini one shot about our favourite young role model.

Clementine POV

Being in the apocalypse means that it's hard to keep track of days. No one knows if it's Wednesday or Friday, never mind when it's Christmas, Easter or birthdays.
That also means, Mother's Day.

"Clem, what's Mother's Day?" The young boy asks.
"It's a day where people thank their mum for all of the sacrifices and good things they did." She simply explained.
"Oh. So, it's an extra celebratory day?" AJ questioned more.
"Yeah, pretty much." She nodded.

"But some people don't have a mum. What do they do?" He pressed, with a pout on his lips.
"People can celebrate any parent on Mother's Day. If someone has only a dad, then they can still join in." Clem tried to explain.
"Makes sense." He shrugged.

"I remember when me and my dad would plan out things for my mum on Mother's Day." Clem reminisced with a smile.
"What would you do?" AJ inquires.
"Simple things really. We would always make pancakes in the morning, and see who could flip it the highest. And, I would always give my mum her favourite perfume as a present." The girl explained.
"So food and presents?" He simply asked, looking up at her face.
Clem gave a confirming nod.

With no warning, AJ got up from his seat on the picnic bend and headed into the dorm building.
Shrugging to herself, Clem just let it go since it was not rare for the small boy to be hyper active.

After a short while, AJ returned back with his small hands behind his back.
"Whatcha got there goofball?"
"I got you some food and a present. For Mother's Day." He said with a toothy smile, revealing the items in his hands.

There was a half eaten packet of pretzels, which she recognised from her date with Louis a few weeks before.
The chosen gift was the plastic flower from their shared dorm room.

"You have made lots of sacrifices for me. So, that makes you my mother." AJ smiled, looking hopeful.
Smiling back, Clem spoke with a happy shock. "Yeah, I guess it does."

Giving the short boy a hug, Clementine realises this boy was the closest thing to a brother and son she's ever had.
He was a two in one.
"I love you Clem." The small boy spoke.
"I love you back kiddo." She replies with a smile. A simple, beaming smile.

Vote and comment if you enjoyed this one shot.