Handle Well

Unsurprisingly, Addison got no sleep that night. How could she sleep in a shack in the middle of the woods... because that was all she could see when she looked out of the shack's tiny window or pulled back the flimsy door, trees, trees and more trees.

How could she sleep when she was afraid a snake would slither in? How could she sleep when she was being eaten alive my mosquitoes? How could she sleep when something kept scratching at the walls? How could she sleep when she kept imagining spiders making nests in her now super tangled hair? How could she sleep when she remembered she was kidnapped by a man who thought she was her sister and was out for revenge.

Thoughts also kept her awake though. Thoughts of Lilac. Thoughts of her sister. And thoughts of what happened.

She wished she could say what happened to Lilac wasn't in any way her sister's fault. She wished she could say her sister had viciously bullied the girl. She wished she could say she, herself, was completely blameless. But it was her who was suppose to be Lilac's friend...

She cried when she thought about it, her sobs mixing in with the calls of some nighttime animal. It was so dark. Her guilt had never quite gone away, just sort of pushed down and ignored, but here it was. Here Micah, Lilac's brother, was pushing it all in her face and taring a sore wound wide open.

Addison, just when sunlight hit the tiny window and was creeping up her leg, finally fell into a state of semi wakefulness out of pure exhaustion. She didn't get to stay in that state for long.

There was suddenly a flurry of activity and it scared her so bad she tumbled off the cot, her elbow landing on the chain making her wince sharply.

She quickly looked up at the four women who entered the shack, carrying many items. They were all Indian. They were mostly young, none of them too old.

They stood in the doorway, just staring at her before one of the younger ones made a comment in a language Addison couldn't understand and they all laughed. Addison had a feeling the comment wasn't very nice.

Two of them came forward and made a move to grab her but she quickly pushed there arms away and stood quickly. "Don't touch me!"

The one closest to her said something and went to grab her again, and frankly Addison was sick of being grabbed. She pushed the woman away make her stumble and almost fall.

Addison grimaced, not meaning to go that far. She was a bit shocked when the other one closet to her slapped her, so shocked it took her a moment to retaliate.

But before her slap could connect a low voice stopped her.

"Don't even think about it or I'll be the one to hit back!" Her hand froze as her head snapped to face Micah.

Face still stinging and breathing erratic, Addison glanced at the now smug looking woman. "She hit me!"

"And you pushed her," he shrugged dismissively. "You're even."

Addison wanted to say fuck what he was saying, but knew if she did he really would be the one to hit her. Her whole body still ached from his abuse the day before.

Her hand fell down to her side. "What's going on?" She said feeling defeated.

"You're going to behave and allow them to help you get dressed for our wedding." He said flippantly.

Addison stared at him, eyes large and mouth open. "What?" She asked in disbelief. "I...I'm not marrying you! Are you insane?"

"You don't have a choice in the matter, Jasmine." He said coldly. "You're not in a position to make any choices."