A day at a time

The days that followed where difficult Ixi was slowly starting to overcome some fears. The first night she slept in Joe's arms but slowly she started to mend some of her fears and finally slept in her own bed with the doors open so she always knew Joe was near. Ixi was a very observant and beautiful little girl. Wolves in their pack commented she was too focused always on alert, but after what she went through her behavior was understood.

Marla a widowed she wolf that had not only lost her husband she also lost a child, a 8 year old little girl. Marla had only one reason she went on; her son that was in her womb at the time of the attack now eighteen. Randolph was a young warrior training in the elite protectors of the pack. Marla found her days very lonely with her son grown and always away training. Marla took it upon her self to help Joe with Ixi getting very attached to the young orphaned pup. Many in the pack felt responsible for her care after the way her father had saved and protected many as the warrior Beta through out the years in his pack. Joe and Mateo were both very respected and loved among wolves not only in their pack but in other's.

Marla came over every morning letting her self in to Joe's home with out even a knock. The woman was quiet as she started breakfast and a pot of coffee. Marla made her way to Ixi's room waking her up gently something about her big blue eyes har Marla feeling very protective of her. Marla knew that in order for healing they needed to start a routine to focus on every day things to get some sort of normalcy in their lives. Marla kissed Ixi's cheek as she woke her got her bathed and dressed to start her day she attempted to get her to speak by trying to get her to chose colors of the outfits she would like to wear giving her options on outfits as well but Ixi would not budge she would just nod or shake her head in response. Marla was growing concerned by Ixi's lack of verbal response she took it upon her self to have the Dr come and check on her in order to determine if maybe Ixi received any injury with out any one noticing to her throat. The Dr determined the child had no injuries that her silence was more of a traumatic response to the events that enfolded on that outing in where she lost her parents, time , love and patience was the only medicine this child needed in order to heal.

Marla and Joe together with the Alphas wife's support took any form in order to help Ixi over come her fears. It was determined she was very smart but refused to speak. One night as Joe lay in his bed Ixi made her way to the edge of his bed startling Joe.

Joe: Ixi baby are you ok? Did you have a bad dream?

Ixi stared and surprising Joe answered and spoke for the first time since the loss of her parents.

Ixi: Papa who was mad?
Joe: No ones mad baby. Baby why would you think someone's mad?
Ixi: I heard men say mama was dead and that he would be mad cause it wasn't the plan that they had to leave before he had them killed.
Joe: What ?

Ixi started to repeat what she previously said ... but Joe interrupted .

Joe: Ixi baby who said that ? When did you hear this?
Ixi: The men that hurt mommy and daddy. I heard them mommy and me were chasing butterflies then mommy got quiet and she told me to stay their she covered me in mud told me to hide behind a big rock she said to not move no matter what I heard or saw to stay until Dad, her or you came for me. Then she left to go with dad I heard lots of growling. Dad was screaming moms name then Mommy screamed for daddy and some men started yelling at her to stop attacking then no more no more growls or screaming that's when I heard the man say some one would be really mad and kill all of them. Why papa why did they hurt mommy and daddy why?
Joe: I don't know hunny but I promise we will find out ok.

Joe held Ixi in his arms. That night it was not Ixi that needed Joe close it was Joe that needed her his wolf was very restless after hearing what his baby had to say about that horrible day. The next day Ixi retorted to her same routine of silence she refused to speak to any one except Joe and only if they where alone. Joes was very great full for Marla's interest in his grand daughter and the help this provided but Ixi only really trusted Joe.

After that fateful night that Ixi revealed what she heard Joe was a mess. Joe was still grieving for his son, daughter in law as well as a grand child he never got to meet. Joes nights and days were tormented with questions as to why ... if their lands had not had rouge problems in many years every one new to stay away , new that their wolves were feared warriors respected among many packs for their lethal skills in combat. Upon further inquiry Joe found out that the wolves on perimeter watch that were assigned to that border of the pack lands where called off by orders of the Alpha, but why? Joe was a retired warrior a former Beta him self he investigated breaches in territory as well as many other responsibilities that he lead as second hand to the an Alpha, and he new their was something wrong with the deaths of his family and with Ixi's confession affirmed it but could not put his finger a reason. He was driving him self crazy thinking about Jewels change her wariness she looked scared but of what? Could this sudden change in her character months before their demise have something to do with their attack. He kept thinking what if someone found out of her being the only surviving member of the the Royal line of wolves the Golden Moon Pack, she was the only heir to many lands and fortune that were coveted by many but even in this the moon Goddess protected Jewel and these lands no wolf ever entered the Golden Moons territory with out injury or sudden death.

   Joe promised to look into this further until he found the ones responsible for the deaths of his only son, his beautiful mate and unborn son.  First line of questions where why did the Alpha stop the perimeter patrol in that area?
Next was why was his family targeted? Who was the wolf behind it all? And did this have something to do with the Golden Moon pack?
First he needed to set up a visit to speak to their Alpha with out revealing anything on Jewels true identity just in case it had something to do with  Golden Moon he did not want to put Ixi in danger especially now that she was the only last known survivor and carried the last of the Royal Alpha line.  Joe did no want to inadvertently risk the only one he had left so he New he had to devise a line of questioning with out coming across as questioning the Alpha he did not want to set him off . Norbian was after all Mateos best friend and took his death very hard he was involved in every part of the investigation involving the death of his beta and his family. Like every one in the pack they wanted blood. But the question lingered in the back of Joes mind why were their no patrols he had to know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
First off thank you. I'm sorry this is taking this long, just got lost  in every day mundane life but will try to continue and finish this book.
I hope you guys like it begging for comments so any feed back is greatly appreciated thank you love you all and I do know where I'm going with this book at least I think I do.
.... again much love   Lety