Edge of insanity

Joe made the call to set up an appointment in order to see the Alpha but was turned down multiple times. The receptionist stated that the Alpha was very busy tending to his as well as his Betas responsibilities was simply to busy at the time. Visits would not be available until a replacement for Mateo was found. Joe found himself frustrated he had questions that burned with in and he felt he could not unravel this puzzle with out the Alpha. Norbian was in command after all he was who gave his command that wolves where not dispatched to that area of the boarder of their land during their weekend getaway. Patrols where there every day before and where ordered to stop patrols on the day they arrived it just made no sense. Joe understood that the Alpha was busy but he had just that little bit of a feeling that the alpha did not want to see Joe simply bugged him. Days progressed to no avail Joe was not getting his answers and Ixi refused to talk to others she only talked to Joe and evan that was scarce.

Endless nights with restless sleep Joe would pace the house, checking all the rooms looking out the window for some intruder to come and finish what they started the day they took Mateo and Jewel and completely shatter his world. Joe kept thinking playing over and over the words of his granddaughter in his head it was driving him insane. Questioning every scenario every motive and any rivalries his son might of had, but could not come up with a proper reason. One thing was for certain Jewel was afraid of something the last few months before their outing she didn't go out without an escort and didn't want to be left alone at home even if it was that Joe was just right outside the door she had to be there too, she was definitely hiding something but what ?

On one late night while Joe made his rounds and paced the house, he heard a knock Joe made his way to the door and standing before him was Norbian.
Joe: Alpha ( he bowed slightly but never keeping his eyes off of him for some unknown reason he felt weary of Norbian)
Norbian: Joe .... May I come in.
Joe: Of course, please do come in

Norbian looked tiered as if he himself had not been able to rest. Norbian ran his hand through his hair in a frustrated manner, not looking at Joe he stepped in and began to talk with his back to him.

Norbian: My secretary has informed me you needed to see me, and have made various attempts in having a meeting with me. Well here I am ... I know I have been a little reclusive but Mateo was my brother, my best friend and Beta ( he turned to face Joe with tears in his eyes shocking Joe completely Alphas do not show weakness to other pack wolves unless its family) Joe I feel lost with out him running this pack without the one person I can trust is driving my wolf crazy.

Joe felt bad when he saw the raw emotion in the Alpas eyes he felt bad for his thoughts his doubts.

Joe: Alpha we are all grieving, you and my son where inseparable you grew up together as brothers. I my self have felt like this nightmare is never ending. I can't sleep I feel as if at any moment they will take what's left of my heart my Ixi.
Norbian: We will never let that happen that child is all we have left of my brother and of my Jewel.
Joe : My Jewel?
Norbian realized his mistake but covering up His blunder.
Norbian: What ?
Joe: You said my Jewel.
Norbian: Did I .... I ment our Jewel. I know I barely met her and rarely got the opportunity to speak to her but my brother loved her and changed so much after he found her .... he seamed stronger, faster as if he had strength or blood of an Alpha. Jewel brought out the best in him it's a shame a true loss to lose them and their unborn pup. Well enough of this you wanted to see me is everything ok.
Joe : No it ain't.
Norbian: Oh how so what's troubling you besides the obvious.
Joe: I was wondering why patrols where called off on the perimeter along the cabin during our stay there?
Norbian got a little uneasy with the line of questioning Joe was getting at. Knowing how bad packs take the killing of a pup he knew he could not draw this kind of attention to him self.

Norbian: Mateo requested it he wanted to spend some alone time with his mate.
Joe: But that makes no sense .... if he wanted alone time he would of never invited me to tag along or brought Ixi with us.
Norbian: Look Mateo was best friend we shared things he wanted you know ..... have some alone time. He had made plans to take Jewel skinny dipping in the lake, and he wanted to make sure they weren't interrupted.
Trust me at the moment I thought nothing of it . I would not want any other wolf looking at my mate while in the nude. I regret every day allowing that perimeter breach and blame my self for this tragedy ... but Mateo was so persuasive we had no problems with rogues or other packs in the past that we over estimated how safe we really where.
Joe: I don't understand Mateo was always so care full why would he do something so careless!  Alpha I don't think my sons death was a random act.
Norbian: Oh come on Joe , Mateo  had no enemies and our Pack is at peace with all packs and has been for a very long time ... I know we are desperate to find those responsible for the demise of our beloved Beta and family but don't beat your self up over it. I got trackers as well as my self on it we will find them and punish them. I mean why else do you think I have been out so much ?
Joe : It's not that . Alpha months before the attack Jewel became scared, really skittish she didn't want to be left alone she became my shadow if I stepped out so did she were ever I went so did she not that I minded it was just strange for her to be like that looking over her shoulder or out the window like she expected something or some one to apear. Alpha im not crazy Jewel was afraid of something or someone, also during there attack my grand daughter heard them speak she heard them say that the plan was to attack and kill Mateo but not his mate!

Norbian got nervous upon hearing that Ixi over heard her parents murderers speak.

Norbian: I don't understand when did the child tell you this I understand she has not said a word to any one after the death of her parents.
Joe: Ixi is scared traumatized even but she can speak. She has what the doctors say selective speech. She only talks to me at the moment.
Norbian: Are you sure Joe, Ixi is a child she could just be confused.
Joe: No she is not she gave me a word by word play of what was said .... look you know me I would never say something like that just to rile the pack up I know how important it is to remain calm and not over play situations. On top of it all Jewel I got to know her she was scared of something.
Norbian: Joe I believe you... I'm going to have to ask you to be discreet no word to any one about this. I promise I will look into this.
Joe: Thank you. That's all I wanted for some one to investigate this.
Norbian: Oh and I will.

With that Norbian a little shaken upon this revelation turned around and left the old betas home.  The walk back to the pack mansion was a very long one Norbian kept raking his fingers through his hair, wondering what else had Ixi heard that day in the field. Hoping the old man would not be a problem it was a shame if they had to get rid of another member of the pack. No but it was much to soon to determine that ... yet.