Chapter 4: Either Way

Catherine opened her eyes and immediately felt like she was home. She saw a patchwork of rolling yellow hills and emerald forests and snowy purple mountains. Chess. "It's beautiful," she whispered.

"Yes," Raven replied. For the first time in what seemed like an eternity, he gave a small smile. "It's good to be home."

Elsie shrugged. "It's alright. Now, let's get on to finding Jest. Raven, you said that you know where he is."

"Well," Raven said, shifting uncomfortably on Cath's shoulder, "I might. There was this place, a cabin in the woods...only the two of us knew about it. I think that may be where he is."

"Okay," Catherine nodded. "Then show us the way."

"I'm afraid it's not that simple," Raven sighed. "The forest is on the other side of Chess. We shall have to travel through the land of the White Queen."

Cath gave a small shrug. "I'll do anything I have to as long as I get to see Jest."

The small group walked on for what was literally days. Cath was beginning to give up hope when they came across a large stone wall.

"This is it," Raven nodded.

"The woods are protected by a wall?" Cath questioned with a furrowed brow.

"No," Raven stated. "But the land of the White Queen is."

"Oh," Cath sighed. "I guess we enter then."

"Are you crazy?" Elsie scoffed. "One does not just enter the land of the White Queen. You must be invited."

Catherine frowned in deep thought. Wasn't the entire point of this mission to go undetected? This was the question she voiced to the others.

"The way I see it," Elsie shrugged, "is that we have two options. We can sneak our way in and risk getting caught, or we can let her know that the Queen of Hearts is here and wishes to speak with her."

"But my title holds no power here," Cath said pointedly. "Anything that was worth something means nothing now. Heck, my marriage isn't even valid in Chess."

"That is why," Raven cut in, "we will go with the first option."

Cath thought this over. Neither option seemed very safe.

If the White Queen invited them in, they could walk the streets in broad daylight, not having to hide. But how would they explain to her their purpose of being there? Surely they would be asked the reason for their visit. It was easy enough to lie, but if somehow it was found out that they were there for Jest, they would likely be followed. It would risk their lives and his.

On the other hand, if they waited until dark and snuck in, they risked being caught. Once again, putting all of their lives at stake.

It seemed as though either way they chose, they could not win.

"Cath? Cath, are you listening?"

"Hm?" She hummed, snapping from her thoughts.

"If we wait until just after sundown, it should be safe to enter through the gate. They leave it unguarded for a time so that the Queen can gather everyone and give a speech," Raven nodded.

"Alright," Catherine sighed. "We'll go in after sundown."