Chapter 15: Keep Your Voice Down

The group of four made their way carefully through Rook Forest, three on foot and one flying. It took quite a while, but they made it out of the thick wood and into the bright light of day.

"Is it just me, or were those two little men rather odd?" Hatta frowned.

"They are definitely curious little figures," Cath remarked with a chuckle.

"I just want to know how they got the names Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum," Jess laughed.

Raven rolled his eyes and gave a small scoff. "Now is certainly not the time for jokes and fooling around. Jest, your days of being a court joker are over. Stop acting like one."

"Yes, sir," Jest said with a teasing seriousness.

Catherine looked up at the former court joker and gave a reserved smile, internally letting out a forlorn sigh. She tried to frantically search her brain for ideas on how to end her marriage without bringing reproach on her name.

How does one go about that?

It was then that Cath realized that Jest had been calling her name. "I'm sorry," she said a bit distractedly. "What were we talking about? Wait. Why can't I see you? God, am I dying?!"

Jest sighed and took off his hat, once again becoming visible to Cath. "You aren't dying. Put on your hat before one of Victoria's guards spot us."

"Who?" Cath frowned in confusion.

"The White Queen," Jest chuckled.

"Right. Sorry," Cath sighed, shaking her head. "I don't know where my mind has gone. I guess I'm still trying to comprehend the fact that you are really here."

Jest touched a gentle hand to her cheek. "Well, believe it. I'm here. I'm here, and I'm not ever leaving you again, alright?"

"Alright," Cath nodded as she quickly donned her hat.

Jest did the same and the group started off towards the land of the White Queen once again.

Carefully, they opened the gate, causing it to give off an extremely loud creak which made all four cringe. The three on foot quickly remembered that they couldn't be seen and slipped through the metal barricade, not bothering to close it behind them.

"Don't you suppose that the Queen will be upset that her gate is wide open?" Cath frowned.

"I suppose," Jest chuckled, "but I don't think it really mat-"

"Quiet down, both of you!" Hatta reprimanded in a whispered tone. "Your hats only make you invisible. Remember, everyone can still hear you."

"Isn't there a silence elixir or something of that sort that you could have used?" Cath inquired.

"Yes. It's called poison," Hatta smirked evilly.

"Hatta!" Cath shrieked. "I can't believe you would say such a thing!"

"Keep your voice down," the hat maker cringed. "There are always people listening."

"Sorry," Cath mumbled crossly.

The group continued on in silence for quite some time after Hatta's rather offensive remark.

Jest couldn't help but stare at Cath. She was beauty in it's purest, simplest, most wonderful form. The way her green eyes sparkled in the sunlight drove him mad. Her gorgeous black locks that were always tied up in a chignon at the nape of her neck made him weak in the knees. Her smile, the upward curl of the corners of those two soft, pink lips, made his heart melt. It made him sick to think that every single bit of her belonged to the King of Hearts.