Chapter 8: The Cottage

"How long have we been walking?" Catherine complained.

"About an hour or so," Elsie guessed.

Cath moaned. "We're going in circles, aren't we? Everything looks the same."

"Relax," Raven sighed. "We should reach the cottage shortly."

Cath felt her heart rate quicken. They were almost there. Soon, she would get to see her beloved, hold him in her arms and never let him go. She felt a smile spread across her lips and she felt tingly all over. She had forgotten this feeling. It was one she treasured, for it reminded her of him.

Cath looked ahead as a small building made of stone appeared in the near distance.

The cottage.

The cottage.

Jest's cottage.

It was in view and fast approaching.

Catherine felt as though her heart was going to beat out of her chest. It was a good feeling to have it there again. She hadn't realized it until now, but she actually missed her heart. It felt wonderful to be able to have normal emotions again, not just hatred and anger.

Before Cath knew what was happening, her and her two friends stood in front of the cottage. "Someone tell me I'm not dreaming," she said breathlessly.

"This is reality," Raven chuckled.

Carefully, and with some hesitation, Cath stepped up to the porch and rapped lightly on the door. She tried to open the door, but it was locked.

Raven produced a key and gave it over to the girl, who quickly inserted it into the lock. Stepping inside, she called uncertainly, "Hello?"

There was no reply.

Cath's heart sank. After all this, the distance they travelled, after being locked in prison cells by the White Queen and escaping the guards, he wasn't here.

Suddenly, a tall man with black hair and eyes as bright and yellow as lemons rushed around the corner. "Who's there?" He called harshly before stopping in his tracks and feeling his breath catch in his throat.

"Jest?" Cath choked out.

"Cath?" Jest said weakly.

At the same time, they both ran to each other, each embracing the other tightly. Tears of joy running down their cheeks.

"I missed you," Jest sighed, pulling away just enough so that he could look her in the face. "Gosh, you're even more beautiful than I remember."

"And you're even more handsome than I remember," Cath grinned, touching a gentle hand to his cheek.

She leaned in to kiss him, and just before their lips touched, Elsie interjected, "Not that I don't love this, but can we focus on the problem at hand?"

Jest sighed and looked over Cath's shoulder before his annoyed expression became one of delight. "Raven?" He laughed in surprise. "Is it really you?"

Raven nodded. "It's good to see you, old friend."

"It's good to see you too," Jest smiled. "Now, Elsie, you said something about a problem?"

"We'll need to get you through the land of the White Queen to get back to Hearts," Elsie nodded.

"And," Raven interjected, "that adds another problem. The King of Hearts. Cath, you're technically still married."

"Well, then I'll just end it," Catherine shrugged.

"It's not that simple, Cath. You can't just end a marriage. There's a whole process. It'll take time and you can't work around it."

"If only there was a way," Cath sighed.