Chapter 18: I Want To

The group silently entered the land of Hearts, not knowing what else to say after their shocking realization.

"She was very helpful to me," Cath said after a very long time. "If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have gotten my heart back and found out that Jest was alive."

"If it wasn't for Elsie and her sisters, I wouldn't be alive," Jest said pointedly. "I still don't know why they saved me. I suppose I shall never know now."

"I suppose not," Cath sighed.

"Well," Hatta shrugged, "such is life. God, I'm tired. We've been walking for so long."

"Really, Hatta? Someone we knew died and that's what you're choosing to complain about right now?" Cath frowned.

"Of course, love," Hatta nodded. "What else would I complain about?"

"God," Cath sighed, "you're such a-"

"Hey," Jest cut in before she could say anything further, "isn't this lovely weather we're having?"

"Super," Cath grumbled.

Not knowing what else to say, the four walked in silence for some time until they made their way to Hatta's hat shop. "Well, I'll be stopping here," he nodded. "I'm sure I'll see you all soon."

"Goodbye, Hatta," Jest replied. "I'll be needing a place to stay for a while-"

"Say no more," Hatta replied, putting up a hand. "You'll stay with me."

"Or," Cath said hopefully, "you could become our court joker again. It would be a nice way of keeping you around."

"I'll think that over," Jest nodded. "I'll see you later, Hatta." He wrapped an arm around Cath's waist and walked with her to the palace.

"It's almost dark," Catherine smiled. "I love it when the night sets in like this."

"It is quite beautiful," Jest agreed. "Almost as beautiful as yourself."

Cath blushed a light shade of pink. "Jest," she moaned.

"I know, I know," he chuckled. "However, I can't help that you are the most beautiful girl in the world."

"Will you just shut up and kiss me?" Cath sighed.

"I can't, Catherine," Jest moaned. "I want to...you have no idea how badly I want to, but I can't. It isn't right. You belong to him. Every single perfect, beautiful, little part of you belongs to the King of Hearts and there's not a thing I can do to change that."

"This is the one and only time you have ever been wrong, my dear Jest. My heart belongs to you. You, and you alone, and it always will. There's nothing that the King could ever do to win my heart."

"So," Jest smirked, "I guess you could say that I completed my mission after all. I was sent here to Hearts to steal your heart."

"And you did," Cath smiled. "It's yours. Forever and always."

Jest gave a small smile in reply.

The two continued to talk as they journeyed to the palace. It was a very peaceful night and both thoroughly enjoyed the walk.

Carefully, they entered the palace as dozens of maids and other servants flocked to their queen. "What's going on?" She frowned. "Why is the castle decorated in black?"

"My Queen," a servant cried hysterically, "your majesty, it's your husband, the King."

Cath's frown deepened. "What's wrong? Where is he? Why hasn't he come to greet me upon my arrival?"

"You majesty," the servant frowned, "do you mean to tell me you haven't gotten word?"

"No," Cath sighed. "For the love of the crown, what happened?"

"It's the King, your majesty. He's dead."