Chapter 20: The White Rose Garden

A few months later.

"Cath, you look gorgeous," Jest smiled.

"Thank you," she blushed. "You look very handsome, yourself."

"Why, thank you," Jest replied with a devilish grin.

Catherine took his arm and he led her out to the palace's courtyards. "I'm so glad that my kingdom has been so accepting of our new relationship," she smiled.

"I am too," Jest nodded in agreement. "I wonder what your parents think about all this. I mean, they wanted you to marry the King so that you would have money and the title of the Queen of Hearts. Now that you have both and no King, I wonder if they would even care about us being together."

Cath gave a small shrug. "Either way, I don't much care what they think. They didn't care about me at all when I didn't want to court, let alone marry the King. I still haven't forgiven them for that."

"Cath," Jest said softly, "maybe it's time we-"

"No," Cath sighed.

"But if we just-"

"No."

"Just let me finish, alright?" Jest sighed.

Cath gave a little sigh of defeat and gave a nod that told him to continue.

"Thank you," Jest smiled. "Now, I thought that maybe I- well, that we could go to them and...I don't know...talk to them? As a couple? I mean, surely they'd want to know who their one and only daughter is with. They'd want to know that she's with someone who will treat her with the respect and kindness she deserves."

"It's a bad idea, Jest," Cath sighed.

"I guess you're right," Jest nodded, frantically searching his brain for any topic to keep her distracted. "Hey...what if you hired Mary Ann again? As your lady in waiting? I think it would be good for you to have her around again. Don't you agree?"

"Not at all," Cath said firmly. "Besides, I like Emma."

"She's a good lady in waiting, then?"

"She's wonderful," Cath smiled. "I wouldn't dream of letting her go. After all, she survived those five long years when I was a heartless monster."

"I'm sure you weren't that bad," Jest chuckled as he slowly lead her over to the white rose garden, hoping it seemed casual enough. His mind and heart were racing.

Just a few more minutes.

Just a few more minutes until he could say everything he wanted to say, to ask her that one special question.

Cath gave a content little sigh. "I love walking out here. It's very peaceful, isn't it?"

"It is," Jest agreed, walking her to the middle of the garden.

"Look at how beautiful the white roses are, Jest," Cath said delightedly. "They remind me of that night when you came to my window all those years ago."

Jest gave a small, silent nod, sitting her down on a nearby bench.

"What's going on?" Cath chuckled. "You seem preoccupied with something."

Jest handed Cath a single white rose and took a deep breath. "Catherine, Queen of Hearts, queen of my heart, I love you. More than anything. Ever since...ever since the moment I first met you, I knew that I wanted to get to know you, that I wanted to be more to you than some stranger who performed card tricks for the King of Hearts' frivolous parties. And well...I- I wanted to ask you...something." Jest got down on one knee and he took a ring out of his pocket. "Catherine, will you do me the great honor of becoming my wife?"

Tears welled in Cath's eyes as she said, "Yes. Yes, of course I'll marry you."

A/N: The picture to follow shows Catherine's engagement ring.