4-- Wired Shut

SAGE—

I barked out a laugh when Ember's mouth dropped open, before kicking my horse into motion and leaving him behind me. I knew he wouldn't really follow through on his words, on his taunts. His prejudice and hatred of my countrymen was obvious, as was his contempt of me personally— probably due to my status as captain. And I refused to defend myself, try to explain that I had only just been given my post back by Queen Hestiel, because my people were due the censure. It was the least I could do to endure a bit of hatred, for the innocent lives lost due to the war we started for nothing but greed.

So I would take any hatred he dealt me, and I wouldn't fight him on it.

I could tell he had only explained his men's words because he was an honorable, honest man, and dammit, I wish he would stop making himself even more attractive. It was hard enough to keep my hands to myself and my mind out of the bedchamber.

Because gods, the things I would do to that stern mouth and that perfect, caramel skin. I would dirty him, and show him not all in El'kahr were prudish.

Some of us were downright dirty.

I pulled back into the present when I rounded on the gate and it was wide open. I silently sent my men through the castle, level by level, and it was almost too simple to take the men inside down. There were only about three dozen men and a handful of servants, and each was bound, or killed if they woke and fought.

I noticed Fern and Count following a darting, reddish-brown shadow, both carrying bits of their wife's clothes, before they returned a few minutes later with Brin at their heels. Her hair was mussed, but she looked no worse for the wear. She winked when she caught me watching her, and I couldn't help the amused smile that broke on my lips.

Within an hour, Butcger was bound at my feet. And it took everything in me not to tear him apart from the toes up. The horror stories told about the man...

Ember stood beside me, his steady, powerful presence a balm on my bloodlust. Especially at the sight of Butcger's trousers untied, his stomach bare, and his hair sex-mussed.

And the boy, barely 8, Fern held to his chest, covered only by Fern's own cloak.

"He's mine," Ember hissed from my side, drawing a pathetic whimper from the bound, trussed Butcger. The man was hogtied, a gash across his left eyebrow dripping blood back into his dark gray hair. "He will pay for—"

"—The queen gets him, Chief Ember," I cut in, wanting nothing more than to watch what Ember would do to the man. What he would make him suffer before granting him the mercy of death. "She wanted to make his execution public. To send a message. It's important."

Ember breathed deeply, his eyes flashing from Butcger to the child in Fern's eyes, then up to me.

"She will make him suffer?" he whispered, his eyes meeting mine. I saw the reluctant trust, and the anger and helpless frustration in them. And I understood completely. This was a crime against nature, to let this monster live much longer. But he had lived so long with the protection of the past king. Queen Hestiel had to send a message to any others that this type of evil, and any others, would no longer be tolerated.

"I guarantee it. Queen Hestiel is... brutal." Butcger grunted, fighting his restraints, and I laughed down at him. "See? Even the Monster knows it— she will show no mercy. I swear it to you. He will die in agony."

Ember simply nodded and moved away, towards Fern. The child in his arms cried out at the big man's approach, but Fern was whispering in the boy's ears, his hands soothing on his back, and the child calmed again.