6-- Blush

EMBER—

The emotions that rushed through me, like the blood through my veins, were completely foreign to me. I had been thrown off by my attraction to Sage, who was far from my usual type— the man was bigger than me, godsdamnit— but now this boy, broken and beaten, had me wanting to wrap him up, keep him warm and safe, protect his frail body from any and all dangers.

He had me wanting to pull Sage in closer, keep the boy warm with our joined body heat. Keep him safe with our combined strength.

I moved away before I could do something stupid. I could feel Sage's eyes on me as I began to coordinate our camp and our departure in the morning. Per an agreement between Queen Hestiel, Jacob of the Buckhide Tribe, and the Warlord Geir, the prisoners would go to Veil in El'kahar and the children would be placed at my discretion. I had been told that the eldest of the five children was Akaran, but the others were too scared to tell yet. They weren't even talking to the healer yet, I had been told. If we found out they were El'kahrian, I would consult with Geir's Warprize as to what I should do with them. But for now, they would go home with my healer, along with the others.

I had been informed within moments of coming back into the front courtyard by Fern and Brin, that they and their mate Count were adopting the child Fern had found in the Defiler's bed. Count had stood firm at their backs, but his face had been filled with affectionate amusement as he watched his mates all but confront me. And one glance at the child, now dressed in what looked like one of Brin's soft cotton shirts, tied around him and his legs like a strange dress, with one of their cloaks surrounding him like a cocoon, calmed any objections I may have had. He was much calmer than he had been only 20 minutes ago when I had seen him last, and the way he held onto Fern told me it would be a hassle to get him away from the man.

"You live near the hedge witch," I answered. "He'll need a close eye on any injuries, as well as his mental growth being affected by his traumas. But I'm sure you three know this. My only objection would be that he may have family he was taken from."

"He doesn't," Fern answered easily, and the child dug his face into his neck and held him even tighter than he had been before. Fern's hand rose up and down, rubbing the child's back soothingly. "He's El'kahrian, but he speaks some Akari he learned from some of the other children he's known since he's been with the Defiler. He told us his parents and elder siblings died of fever a few years ago. He barely remembers them."

I nodded and bit my lip at the idea of an El'kahrian child being raised so near my own home. But I would have to get used to it— my tribe would likely be adopting the children, even the El'kahrians, if we couldn't find their families. Or if their families were unsuitable for the children.

I wasn't naive enough to be unaware that some of the children would have been sold by willing parents. It was the reason I would be seeking the children's parents out, but would also need the Warprize's aid, so I could ensure the families taking the children wouldn't simply turn around and sell them again for another profit.

"His name?" I asked, in answer to their demand to adopt the child. I could see Brin melt a little with relief at my acquiescence.

"Shobek," Brin answered quickly. "Strange name, so we're going to call him Bek. He says he likes it."

The child looked up at me with wide eyes, nodding a little, and I smiled as gently as I could, keeping my voice soothing as I spoke in El'kahrian so he would understand fully.

"It's nice to meet you, Bek. Welcome to the Starwind Tribe."

"They takin' the kid in?" Sage asked from behind me, and it was only then I realized he still stood a few feet from me, holding the pale, shivering boy in his arms.