Chapter 1

Jessica had everything. Anything a girl wanted, she had. But it wasn't enough. What Jessica really wanted was the love of her father. Sure he loved her, but not enough to stay home once in a while. He was always gone, out of the country, or out of state. His private jet flew him in and out almost every day. He was a very important man. He had many friends and many enemies. Alan Preston was famous. Jessica's mother had died giving birth to Jessica, and it had almost killed Alan Preston. He was down in the dumps for a very long time. It wasn't until they were almost homeless, that Mr. Preston got his act together, and went to work in the oil fields of Texas. Only five years later, he owned over 3/4th's of them, because he learned how to be a shrewd businessman.

He was a nice man, if you didn't get in his way, or cross him. He didn't like double-crossers or trouble makers. No one messed with Alan Preston, or his beautiful daughter.

Jessica had grown up, going to the oil fields, but as she blossomed into a beautiful young woman, and the men had started noticing her, she was forbidden to return.

"You need to stay home and act like a lady. No young man will want you if you are covered in oil," he had said.

She had only laughed at him. "Oh father, it wouldn't matter how I looked. It is your money they would want, I would be an afterthought."

He had shaken his head. "No, Jessy, you will stay home and be good."

She had been 16. Now she was 22. She felt like an old maid.

Yes, she was dating someone. He worked with her father. Yes, he was handsome and charming, but he acted just like her father. Demanding, and unforgiving. He put on an act around her so she would think highly of him. Well, she didn't. She knew how he truly was, and she didn't like it. And she knew he was dating her for the money involved. She sometimes wondered if her father was paying her beau, Jonathan to date her. One day she would tell him goodbye. Soon, she decided.

So there Jessica sat in their sitting room, pondering her pitiful life, as she looked out the window at the flowers and the great expanse of lawn surrounding their house.

She could always try and escape, but her father had a very well-guarded home.

A high brick wall surrounded the property, and guards wandered the ground. All for her protection, her father had said, but Jessica knew it was mostly to keep her father's enemies at bay.

She could always go shopping. She hadn't bought any clothes for a long time. But that didn't sound very fun, because she wasn't supposed to drive. Her chauffeur had to drive her everywhere, for her safety. Little did her father know, the chauffeur let her drive when her father was out of town, which was often. She sighed, and stood, turning on the radio. They didn't have a T.V.

Her father said it was a waste of money and brains. "A television will make you stupid," he had said. So she compromised and went to movies when her father was out of town, of course.

Music blared out of the speakers of the radio, some love song. But it was suddenly cut short. A news reporter had broken into the song. That was okay, she didn't like that song anyway.

"Breaking news at this hour," the reporter said, sounding important, "it has been reported that earlier today, the dread Pirate Black, was seen attacking a fishing vessel off the coast of South America. There have been no reports of injuries so far. Very little information is available right now. We will update this broadcast when we receive further information.
This is the second known attack by Pirate Black this month. Authorities have been unsuccessful in capturing him. As you all know he is wanted for hijacking oil and merchant's vessels. No one seems to know why he is doing so. This is the end of our report for now like we said, we will update you with further information as we receive it, this is Jan Johnson reporting." There was a pause and the music came back on.