Chapter 4

It seemed hours later when she felt a hand on her forehead.

"Damien, she is burning with fever. The infection has spread. She needs to be in a hospital," a kind older male voice said, leaning over Jessica.

"Doc, you know there's not a hospital for miles. Is she really that bad?"

"Yes. Her leg is streaked with infection. Her fever is over 103."

"Can't you do anything?"

"I can give her antibiotic shots, and something to dull the pain, but I don't know if I can stop the infection. It has spread far. If the antibiotics don't stop the spread of infection, it will spread to her heart, and she will die."

"Do what you can Doc. I don't want to send her back in a casket to her father. He would have his mob after me for sure."

"I will try to help her, but she must be untied."

"No. That I cannot do."

"Why not?"

"I do not want her to see me."

"Then leave, and I will untie her. I cannot help her the way she is bound up now."

"Fine. But as soon as you are finished, tie her back up."

"No. I am not going to do that. She won't escape."

"How do I know that?"

"Look at her Damien. She is half dead. Just leave okay? Especially if you are so worried about her seeing your face."

"Fine. Come get me later."

He left, leaving the two alone.

The Doc untied Jessica and she fell forward, too weak to hold herself up.

He caught her and pulled off her blindfold. "Gregory, get some bedding. We'll lay her on the floor."

She hadn't known there was another person in the tent.

She kept her eyes closed, as the Doc held her up.

Minutes later she was being laid down on something soft.

The Doc rummaged through his bags he brought with him, pulling out a needle and antibiotics.

"Miss Jessica, can you hear me?" he asked.

She nodded weakly.

"Good. I am going to give you a shot of antibiotics. Then a shot of painkillers. Both in your leg. It will hurt for a few seconds. Okay?"

She nodded again, still keeping her eyes closed.

Moments later she felt a pain in her leg. Then another.

"Okay Miss Jessica, I am going to put a cold pack on your head to break your fever. Then you are going to lay there and rest, okay? The painkiller will make you sleepy. In six hours, I will be back to give you more shots."

Again a nod.

"Good girl. Now, here is the cold pack."

She felt him place it on her forehead. It felt good. And moments later, the medicine kicked in and she was asleep.

She didn't know how long she slept, but somewhere she heard voices, breaking through the fog in her head. The pirate and the Doc's.

"She's still not awake?"

"No. I gave her another shot of antibiotics a few hours ago, and she didn't even stir."

"That can't be good."