Chapter 15

"Preston's daughter testifies against father, Mr. Preston in jail for death threat, all charges against Pirate Black dropped," read the headlines of the newspaper the next morning.

Jessica sat in her room eating when Susan brought in the paper. She left Jessica alone to read it.

Jessica read the article. It sounded like she was a pawn in a game, and that her father was a terrible man who swindled Damien out of millions of dollars. Jessica was a victim in the whole mess. The second page of the paper they had interviewed Damien.

"I am just grateful that this is all over," he was quoted as saying, "this has gone on long enough. I apologize to Mr. Preston's daughter for her having to be dragged into this whole mess. I know it was not easy testifying against her father. She was very courageous."

Jessica couldn't tell if he was being kind or just a big jerk. Pretend to be nice so everyone will like you? Or play the true hero and apologize for the way things had gone. She didn't know. Maybe he really was sorry. He had said so the day before and had seemed genuine.

Jessica glanced at the clock on the wall. It was a little after nine. Her father would be signing papers. Was he still fuming? Would he ever forgive her?

Susan walked in then. "Are you doing okay Jessica?"

Jessica shrugged. "I don't know Susan. My father is in jail, if he refuses to sign those papers he will lose everything, including the house. I'll have to let everyone go," she sighed.

Susan walked to her friend and bent down to hug her. "No Jessica, things will be okay, we can take a big cut in pay. We all discussed this earlier. We would stick around. Things will work out. Don't worry about it. We will figure out a way to keep the house. I am sure Mr. Benhurst won't make you give up the home. He has more heart than that. I am sure of it."

"I hope so. I wouldn't know what to do otherwise."

Susan nodded. "Things will be okay, now, let's get you into the bathroom, you look terrible."

"Thanks a lot," Jessica said, cracking a smile.

"I knew I could get you to smile, now come on, you can't mope around all day," she stated and helped Jessica into the bathroom.

She took a long leisurely bath, then afterward she headed to the sitting room.

Susan came in a few minutes later and handed Jessica an envelope. "This was stuck in the mailbox."

"Thanks," Jessica said, looking at the envelope. The handwriting was beautiful on the front.

Was it from someone who was writing a sympathy letter? She opened it and pulled out a sheet of paper. The handwriting wasn't so beautiful as the front. It looked like it had been written in a hurry.

She paled when she read it. "You will not escape me. I want you. Even if it means killing you." It was not signed of course, but she knew who it was. Jonathan. Who else would threaten her?