Chapter 11

It wasn't until two days later that Jessica heard anything about her attempt to save Damien.
She was just headed to the study when she saw her father rush down the hallway with another man and into his office. He looked very upset. She grinned. Something had happened.
Being sneaky as usual, she tiptoed to the office door and listened.

"Steve, I thought I told you to set a trap," Mr. Preston bellowed.

"We did, Mr. Preston, but somehow he knew about it."

"What? How did he find out? No one knew about this but me and you."

"And the coastguard sir. Maybe someone there leaked information."

"What happened?"

"Well, we did what you said to do, and we set the trap. We went to the location and waited for a whole day. He never showed. Then as we were giving up we got a Morse code over the system. It said, "you thought you could trap me. Try again."

Jessica covered her mouth to try not to laugh as she listened. She wanted to cheer. So Damien had received her message. Good.

"Well, this time we shall try something bigger. Tempt him with money. I want this man stopped."

"And if he doesn't take the bait?"

"He will, especially if he knows it is my money."

"We will try again sir."

"Different location this time, and use a different boat. He obviously is getting too smart."

"Yes sir, we will try again."

"Good man," her father replied.

Jessica snuck back to her room again and waited for Susan. It was almost lunchtime and she knew she would be in soon.

She didn't have long to wait. Susan came in minutes later with a tray.

"Close the door," Jessica told her.

Susan nodded and did so, then set the food on the bedside table.

"Well?" Susan asked quietly.

"It worked Susan. Damien found out it was a trap."

"Good."

"Yes, but now my father is setting another one. He must be stopped again."

"Well, I have to go do some shopping today so I shall do my duty."

"Thank you, Susan."

"Anything for you Jessica. But if we are caught,"

"Then I will tell my father that we were only helping in the interest of saving lives."

"Hmm, like he will believe that. I'll have to come up with something better."

"Okay, suit yourself, but hurry, time is running short."

Susan nodded and walked out, passing Mr. Preston on the way down. He nodded at her. She at him, as he walked up the stairs to his daughter's room.

She was sitting at her small vanity, eating when he walked in.

She turned and smiled at him. "Good afternoon father. What brings you to my room?"

"I came to check on you. I have not seen you for days. Are you feeling well?"

"Much better father. Are you doing well?"

"I would be doing much better if we caught that pirate."

"Father, let it go. He has not done anything lately, has he?"

"Well, no, but I want revenge for him kidnapping you. He could get life in prison."